Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers 916 and 716 Bevel Gear Box

chuckdog

My dad broke the ears off of his bevel gear box on his 916. Someone I know has a parts 716 and is willing to sell the gearbox out of that tractor. Are they the same? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the help. My brother in law has warned me that it is a pain to switch out. Is it? My dad was pulling a wagon load of wood and hit a rock in the front with his snowblower and jarred the tractor. One of the four bolts we thought was missing and the other one was loose, and it tore off the bottom two bolt mounts, so the tractor buckled in the middle. My poor old dad is in tears

---"poor old dad is in tears"-- dang, I don't blame him,;) Should bolt right in, nothing real mechical about it, just nuts and bolts and remember where you took them outta.

Just get one for the same style trans and you should be OK. Don't loose the shims on the right side and make sure you reinstall them.

DON'T THROW A WAY THE OLD BGB. there is gold in that there part. a crafty old man could wield that back to gather if you have all the parts. but the real reason is the parts in side of that. shafts, and gears. there hi dollar items so keep a hold of them.

Used cases come up on E-bay from time to time. Also someone has welded up a case before, search the Archieves for postings from "thedaddycat". If I remember correctly the case is cast from Steel, not cast iron so it welded well, I think.

It broke because the bolts were missing or loose. The four bolts that attach the front of the frame to the BGB basically hold the front of the tractor to the rear. It is very important to properly tighten the four bolts and to regularly check them as they can loosen over time. If the top two bolts or the bottom two bolts are loose or missing the other two bolts or BGB will fail in short order.

• 1 month later...