Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cracked rubber on steering wheel for b-10

what would you guys recommend as the best way to fix the cracked rubber on the steering wheel of a b-10? car dash repair kit, j.b.weld, or what???

I salvaged a really bad wheel on my Allis Chalmers B by building it up with layers of plain old Bondo. Wait until it is partially cured and you can file or scrape it into shape quite easily. It takes a couple of layers if the dammage is large. I even recreated the finger grooves on the underside of the wheel. After a repaint it looks like a new one. Total investment about $5 and a couple of hours over about three days. Ron

My experience from auto restoration is to use an epoxy product call PC7. It is stronger and bonds better than bondo, but is still workable with a file and sandpaper. I learned this trick from buying a steering wheel repair kit from The Eastwood Co. It consisted of PC7 and instructions. The instructions said to cut out about 1/2 inch down to the metal core where the crack is, then mix up the PC7 (2 parts mixed together). You then shape and paint the wheel. You should be able to buy PC7 at a good hardware store.

Brad, I also use a good two part epoxy that is sandable. Instead of use paint on the wheel itself, I like to use the rubber spray coating that is for car/truck bumpers. Good luck! Mike