Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another BGB question

JP10

I've noticed about a 1/16" of left/right play on the pulley shaft of the BGB on my Landlord 101. I was wondering if this is reason for concern or just par for the course. I don't really want to take it apart because I tend to ruin pulleys in the process but I will if the general consensus points in that direction. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks J-P

start using the pb blaster treatment now and it will help with the pulley removal later 1/8 is not to bad when you talk about 1/4 slop then you mess things up. be sure you take the set screw out and spray in the hole as well.

Fix it sometime soon. There should be zero endplay in the cross shaft. The driven bevel gear will chew right into the cross shaft, making junk out of both the gear and shaft. And they are both high-dollar items. I speak from experience. Good repairing. Todd

I guess I should repair it while I got the tractor broke down already. At the very least it will give me peace of mind. Are their any Simplicity repair kits for these or are parts fairly common?

It's my understanding the parts are still available. I live 20 miles from SLI which makes it nice. A year ago I went there and bought seals and shims for my B12 BGB. I beleive you can still get all the parts, shafts, gears, bearings, etc. Todd