Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3212H gear box troubles

ddavie

Well, the old girl is in a world of hurt now. Pushing snow a couple of weeks ago and it quit moving, making all kinds of racket. i suspect it's the gear box, but how do you know for sure? Is it easy to replace? As always, thanks in advance for the help!

Start the engine and put it in gear. Then check to see if the tube going to the diff behind the right rear wheel is turning. If it is then the problem is in the diff assembly. If the tube is not turning then the problem is inside the transmission. That is the first check you need to do.

Are you talking BGB or transmission? To check which is making the racket, take the drive belt off, if you still get noise it's your BGB, if you don't it's in the tranny, follow Rods advice for first step. since it's a hydro check the freewheel lever, maybe it poped 'almost' into neutral, enough not to move, but still close enough for the gears to be making noise.

When my dad's bgb went out it fit that description. It blew the bearing on the engine(input) side and had even scored a deep notch in the shaft. You could possibly feel the slop from turning the drive pulley and feeling for exessive slop.

Thanks guys. I'll check it tonight. The only thing i noticed when it happened (other than the noise) is the belt no longer turns. I assumed it was the drive belt on the right side. That's why i figured it was the gear box. I'll get back with you tonight.

If the belt no longer turns, then it is almost surely the BGB that went bad. I lost one last summer in my 713S. It just stopped moving. I had that tractor for about 3 years. Guess what? I had never checked the oil in the BGB. There was none. At least it lasted 3 years that way.:D Even those of us who are old-timers on this site make stupid mistakes sometimes. I bought another BGB to replace it, and a spare for the shelf.;)

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
If the belt no longer turns, then it is almost surely the BGB that went bad. I lost one last summer in my 713S. It just stopped moving. I had that tractor for about 3 years. Guess what? I had never checked the oil in the BGB. There was none. At least it lasted 3 years that way.:D Even those of us who are old-timers on this site make stupid mistakes sometimes. I bought another BGB to replace it, and a spare for the shelf.;)
Do they still make them, or do i have to find a used one?

All of the parts are still available to rebuild the one that you have. It will probably cost around $250 in parts if you use all new, (input shaft, both gears, bearings and seals). another option is to watch Ebay for a good used one.

One reason that I did not rebuild my BGB was that the housing was ruined when the bearings went bad. Also, as Mike said above, the rebuild cost is around $250. I got each of the two units I bought for less than $75 including shipping. Both were in excellent condition. This was only a few months ago. Why rebuild when you can get deals like that?

Rod - Sounds like you were lucky to get two good BGBs through eBay. I would think that by the time someone was parting out a tractor, the BGB might be on its last legs, possibly no better than the one you need to replace. Hopefully buying from honest sellers with good ratings will minimize this. I guess worst case is that you get an extra unit to rebuild at your leisure without having to take a tractor out of commission while you rebuild (assuming that your current BGB is still operable, but questionable). Any tips for sorting out the good from the bad on eBay? Glen

I bought one of the BGBs from a fellow member who I trust. Bought the other on ebay from Joe Hemme ( Joe's Outdoor . . .) who has also sold good hardware each time I have dealt with him. I watch ebay on a regular basis and pay attention to what other members say about specific dealers. I have actually only been burned on one ebay deal.

Update.... One of the members here lives in the same little town as I do and stopped by today. He gave me the motivation and enough guidance to get me going and the unit is now split. I'll get the gear box out of it after supper. I'll get a price on rebuilding it and go from there. Still looking for a good used one though ;) As i was looking at the tractor, I realized that I'm not too far from having it in re-paintable shape }:) Here goes another project i guess... Oh well, it should look as good as the 4040 when it's done!

• 3 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by Zach
Any Pics?:D
Why, yes i do... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102740