Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

stevenj's Front Axel Support Bracket on a 7000

Simpleton7016

Simpleton7016
[url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68701[/url] I think that Steve's above modification is absolutely ingenious. Fortunately, my snowblowing rig came with one included and installed - compliments of Mr. Rhibar...but I want to have one of these made up and installed on my beloved 7000 series. By my measurements, the thickness of the frame on the 7100 is 5 1/2 inches, whereas the 7000 is 3 1/2 inches. I think the width between the left and right sides should be the same, but I am not home right now to confirm that. Anyway, for those of you that are new here, I rank in the bottom 10% of membership in terms of mechanical aptitude. For those of you who have been here awhile, this fact has become painfully obvious over the years. So below, you will see my handwritten questions on a copy of Steve's prototype. I am trying to determine from where that extra 2 inches will have to be removed to adapt this bracket to a 7000 series with a 3 1/2 frame. I think I have it right, but then again, I suck at chess too. The rest of the world measures twice and cuts once. I measure once and then fire off 15 minutes of F-bombs when I screw it up. :O
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Front Axel Support.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Frontaxelsupportwithnotesresized.jpg[/img]

quote:
The rest of the world measures twice and cuts once. I measure once and then fire off 15 minutes of F-bombs when I screw it up.
That would be a good one for the random quotes that run across that bar on the club home page^

Whow!!! I'm impressed and humbled. I'm wondering how many others made one from my original post. I've not had the opportunity to measure a 7000 series, but I think the outside-to-outside dimensions of the front frame are the same as the 7100 series, but the thickness of the frame on the 7000 series is greater, therefore, the inside-to-inside dimensions of the 7000 series should be slightly smaller. I'd recommend getting out your tape measure and some straight edges and measure up your tractor and make the necessary adjustments to the dimensions. Whether the end pieces will stay the same depends on the spacing between the two holes on the 7000 frame. In fact, I think the 7000 series doesn't have the two holes in the frame and the location of the hood pivot would prevent you from attaching to the frame in the same relative location as my design. Take a look at the hood pivot brackets with the hood closed in relation to the front of the front axle and I think you will see that if you did install one, you wouldn't be able to close the hood. I think your best bet might be to use the two holes of the front most part of the frame and construct the bracket rearward. This will result in a more cantilevered construction but with sufficient bracing the twisting moment applied to the front of the frame should be manageable. The concept will work, I just think you're going to have to re-engineer it to work within the constaints of your front frame and axle locations.

Simpleton7016
Well Steven, I think everyone should have one. I am a big fan of beefy, firm, stout front ends...on tractors too! Kudos on your invention!