Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Painting the Power Max 4041

Time1992

I am getting ready to paint my tractor and need some advise. First I only have a small 2 car garage and dont want to get over spray on everything although I do want a nice hard finish when Im done. I have never used a spray gun but willing to try. I will use a rattle can for the small parts. Any ideas ? or advise ? Thanks, Tim

Tim... You and I are both redoing our PowerMax tractors at the same time. So far, mine is stripped down to basically a frame and nothing else and being readied for paint. It's not my first painting project so I already own the HVLP gun, exhaust fan, the mask, compressor and related equipment. Plastic hung from areas available to you can create a temp "spray booth" in which to spray your parts. Isolating the over spray,and venting the over spray (through a furnace filter) will be plenty. Keep in mind a tractor even the size of the 4041 still has a small surface area compared to spraying a car as an example, so with a decent HVLP gun, some well hung plastic and venting you'd be set. Other advise: Quality paints and materials will go a long way in making the extra work and expense pay off for many years. Learning how to mix and spray these paints is far more time consuming than actually hosing it on, if you can run a spray can you can spray with a paint gun. I am documenting my rebuild via photos but I have been too lazy to assemble them and post anything as of yet, but depending on your time frame, I may have mine painted before you. I'm hoping to shoot this weekend sometime if weather will allow. NoRM

Thanks Munk, I almost forgot to start taking pics.lol I guess I better start or you guys might think I found a brand new tractor when Im done lol, anyway thanks for the tips. I am not as far along as you, I have the engine out and started cleanup. I alread cleaned and painted the rear end and will mask off and leave it in. I have started cleaning everything up and priming the small stuff. Man some of the caked on grease and dirt is a B###H to get off. What colors are you going to use ? Tim

I am going to try something new for me. Normally I go with high quality automotive type paints for most projects. This project is getting "tractor paint" from tractor supply. I will add some harder and quality prep work and see how it turns out. This is a work tractor not a show piece, and I suspect the paint will be at least as good of quality as the OEM Simplicity paint was, and it has held up rather well. As for the grime... I can relate. Mine had a fair amount as well. So I tore it completely apart to fix any suspected leaks. That and I plan to modify a few things. (bad habit but I might leave something OEM one day) Power steering Updated wiring to handle future modifications. Hydraulic system modifications to support the loader/toys better. Disk Brakes (The OEM brakes can be improved upon) The purists may groan but this machine is going to go back to work. And it has to earn it's place in my shed. I honestly want to do a swap to a diesel but, spring is coming so the Onan hopefully will work (I don't even know if it runs lol) NoRM

Hey guys, I getting ready to paint mine as well. I have the motor out front end off and getting ready for the rear. Mine is a 1973 but is it a 9020 or a 4040? I want to order the Power Max 9020 Chassis Only Service Manual but want to get the right one. Any thoughts?

Mi it should be a 4041 they didnt make the 9020 until 76, the 4041 has a bigger motor than the 4040. Dont order manuals you can get all you need here. Please post some pics and we will help you. Tim

Thanks, I got the tractor about 2 years ago started the project then it got sidelined. But I'm back on it! It has the 19.5 Onan so it st be the 4041. Thanks! I'll post some pics but I know that you 2 will be ahead of me, getting this done. But I'll take all the help your willing to lend.