Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bring back the Allis 900 series

ardisam

I think we need to together and talk to Briggs & Stratton about the new allis tractor. Why build a cheap tractor and deface the name at the same time. I was talking to a friend about this and we agreed on that briggs should build the 900 series tractor, but do not install a briggs in it, Allis never put them in the 900's. Drop a Kohler 27 hp motor in it and bolt on drive shaft like the sunstars. Add a electric clutch on the front for a snowblower, and have a power steering and hydro lift. Keep the mid pto, keep the sunstrand pump and the trust worthy cast iron rear end. Give a options of mower decks like, 42'', 48'' or maybe 60''. Offer a 36'' tiller for the rear hitch. They should this the Allis-Chalmers 927 Hydro. Thats what I think, how about you?sm01

If I could afford such a fine piece of equipment I would demand it!dOd But of course until autobody outpays a lawyer I can't demand more than a can of cheap beer.:D I would of course be even more wild about it if it didn't have those funny looking running boards.}:) But that's just the rebel in me.

Though I would definitely buy won if they brought it back, I think to build one today and try and sell it for under $8,000 with the current OPEI standards is not likely. I would like to see the Conquest, Prestige, and Legacy XL with the A-C name on it.

OrangeMetalGuy
We're lucky that enough originals exist that we can find and (more importantly) restore them. I always wondered why Chevy, for instance, doesn't come out with a 2009 pickup with the 1972 sheetmetal. Would probably sell a boatload of 'em.

Think about it, when Simplicity discontinue these tractors they sold for 5,000 grand for models without power steering, and with power steering was sold around $5,200. I would think they would be in the same ball park. Or maybe a couple hundred more. Like someone said, Dodge brought back the charger, and chevy brought the Camaro. If briggs brought the 900 series back, at least the would be competeing with John Deere again.

That would be cool, but I dont think Briggs would like the idea of putting a Kohler in it. It would be even better if they made it so the old FDT attachments would fit on it.

Your saying tell briggs to install a competitor's motor? That will go far. As far as the transmission, they probably discarded the tooling to build them years ago. In my area, nobody has a garden in their backyard like they did years back, so I don't think many people would be in to paying that much to mow their lawns. I just can't see anyone building a fine machine like these in this economy at an affordable price.

Are they selling any of those AC branded tractors???? I would buy one if it were a Prestige, as I have the attachments and the cab already, and I would like to upgrade(my Conquest) to a hydraulic lift and more horsepower(in my old age I am becoming a horsepower junkie). Didn't MTD try the same sort of thing awhile back?? Didn't they brand some MTD tractor as "International Harvester"? Did they sell any of those? I never saw one except for a picture on the internet. It seems strange that for 16 years I never had more than 12 horsepower and today 20 horsepower is not enough. Maybe I just lost my perspective as I have a 110 hp Minneapolis Moline (G1000) sitting in the shed beside the Conquest. What do you guys think about that?? I agree with the sentiment however. I do not believe that these new cheap AC tractors are even worth a footnote in the history section. But if they do start selling in large numbers, I may have to consider it.

Say Rich, Simplicity is owned by briggs right? But Simplicity puts in briggs, and kohler. That sounds like competitor thing going on there doesn't it?

Just look at Cub Cadet after MTD bought them out. They tried to market them as super garden tractors which they were relative to other machines on the market. I believe they finally dropped that idea do to lack of sales. To make an AC 900 at the same quality level as the old line was they would probably be in the 8 to 9 thousand dollar range. That's not to say they wouldn't sell. The throw away mentality may change with the new economy which will probably be here for a while

quote:
Originally posted by Zach
I wish I was around when these fine tractors were rolling off the assembly line:(! I hate my generation8C
i no right! ughhhsm00

you have to remember that back then the sold for about $2000 or $3000 bucks for a large frame simplicity or AC and that nowadays is like almost $7000 to $9000 bunks. but yes i totaly think that they should bring back the old allis/simplicitys Why not at least make parts for the old stuff like hoods and frames and trannys and such?

Bringen em back just isnt going to happen. As I rememeber in discussions in here years ago, one big consideration in dicontinuing them was that the tooling in the production lines was all nearly worn out. That combined with falling sales figures killed the model. I todays economic climate it just wouldnt be feasable financially at all to retool and build.

The new AC 130 is pretty sorry looking. It is a shame Allis Chalmers is allowing that venerable old name to be associated with a "dime store tractor" I too think it would be wonderful for a Legacy badged as an Allis. for that matter if they can do that with a lawn and garden tractor why can't AGCO pay Allis Chalmers to use the trade name on their DT Series tractors since the family farm is where AC made its name known with the old B, WC , WD45 and D-17 tractors.

1969nicholas
I would be allot happier if they had more parts available for the old stuff like gas tanks for the old landlords.I know with Briggs in charge it cant be that big of deal to make allot more stuff.I think most of there parts are coming from China now anyway.I know they can make it next to nothing.I see china allot on Briggs parts and its a shame.CI had my 101 trans tore down last year and needed a gear went threw simplicity and guess what no longer available.I ended finding a used one on eBay but thought that was pretty ######### on Briggs is part. nick

Well, if it is impossible to bring back the 900 series tractors, they at least bring out the Allis Chalmers name on the Legacy as Phil said, or the Prestige. Or here is a though, maybe they should bring back the Sunstar series and call it Allis 1900 series? But I still think the it would cool have a brand new 900 series with a 27hp Kohler in it.( Allis-Chalmers 927 Hydro)