Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Serial Number Help

Simplicity85

Well the day came two LL's. Well one of them had the number sanded off. So my grandmother said there's a way to get it back. You put some thing on the decal and comes back? Is that true? Thanks for the help.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Is only the serial # sanded off? If so the tractor may have been stolen at some point.
The tractor was going to be paited. The tag is still there.

I have found on these tags, after so long weather and age plays a role and the numbers just basically wear off. To get any information, you will probably have to resort to the tags on the engine for further identification. The only thing I can suggest is a cleaning the tag up with dish shoap, and they try a LED light to attempt to read any numbers. Have had partial luck with it. But not very fun on the eyes. I don't recall these numbers actually being stamped and pressed in, otherwise you could try putting a piece of paper over it the tag and rubbing a pencil over it to see if it will color in a number.

You do have a point because the labels were made in two layers. The chrome layer tended to flake off with time or vice versa, but the result is the same- a ridge around the letters. As stated an LED can work, or any super focused white-spectrum light. Hold it at an angle so you can see the reflections. If you can peel it off successfully, sometimes you can read the fade from behind too. This is a last-ditch method however because it can end up in peices. Are these round-hood or squares?

Model number is 990308 for a 64 Landlord. Don't know what you would want the serial number for if you already know what year they are. Tom

The sticker on the fender/seat pan behind the seat will have the Model Number in large print and I believe serial number stamped into the sticker. Tom

990314 is 64(mine is anyway.)also. Here is the ref table that has the round hood models: http://www.simpletractors.com/made_when/1964-1967.htm