Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Parts or Project ?

JimDk

A neighbor pulled into my driveway today with this ratty 7016 on his trailer. Gravity took over and it rolled right into my shop. It has a bad engine, but a good Sunstrand hydro. A possible transplant into a foot dragger, or ???

Looks in pretty good shape just some surface rust a good cleaning some paint fix the engine you will be good...I like the hood with the lights built in.

I have fixed up a 1974 3410 worse than that, bad engine, bad BGB, tires, rims and body were in much worse shape. I did use a Homelight T-13 as a parts tractor. jh

Thanks for the input. I pulled the head and took a look at the bore. It is badly worn and may not be repairable. I will have it checked with a bore gage. Meanwhile, I will put in a running 10hp engine so that I can check the hydro. If it is ok, I will then make a decision. I've always wanted to do a FDT conversion with a Sunstrand like Kent and Sam did, but you guys have me thinking.

The 7016H is now a 7010H. I dropped the 10 hp in and was pleased with the Sunstrand, but there are other problems such as worn steering, no charging, and I'm sure a few others. I will need to think about the next move for a while.

I am still in the early stages of the Homelite refurb, so it's kind of hard to plan another project now. I'll park the Simplicity in the barn and wait until spring. The old gal was used in a lawn mowing business and has many hours of use, and abuse. I am surprised that the transmission is as tight as it seems.

quote:
Fix it Jim, Brenda said it been a bit slow at SLI
Thanks Martin :D:D But wait till I get back to work before you come in with the quart jar you dug up out of the back yard Jim }:)

Brenda, I hope that you are not ill, just taking some much needed R & R. I have not been over for a visit, so did not know you were not working. Unfortunately, I did not have my money in a jar in the back yard. Oh no, I bought some fine blue chip stocks. Well, I guess you know what happened there. I should have bought more tractors sm01. They seem to be a better investment. As of yesterday, the 7016 is resting comfortably in my barn. I did take inventory of my FDT parts, and, other than a decent grill, I have enough parts to build a nice FDT with a Sunstrand. Maybe a round hood hydro just to be different???? When I get the Homelite done, I'll think about it. Jim

That looks like my project. I'm hoping my tranny is good too. I have yet to get the engine going. With warmer weather around the corner, I should be able to get at it! Rick

Rick, Good luck with your 7016. They are a nice tractor. I have been plowing snow wirh a AC 917 with Sundstrand hydro. It seems to be a tough transmission, and I really like the reverse speed for snow plowing. My 7016 was used for commercial mowing and is somewhat beat, but the PO said the hydro was ok, so I took a chance that it would still be usable after sitting for a while. Jim

Had surgery on my foot on Monday. I was expecting to go back to work by now but getting around on one foot proved to be more difficult than I expected B) Was joe the one that happened to stop by and tempt you? I think I saw one like that up on the hill last summer when we stopped to buy the 2 B-10's he has :D

Brenda, That's the one. I think he was surprised when I told him that I was driving it around the next day.:D:D Speaking of the B-10s, if you happen to be parting one out, and have spares, I still need grill parts. Hope yer foot heals soon. Jim Roy, I'm sure she will be behind the parts counter soon. The place does not run well without her.:)

quote:
The place does not run well without her.
:I :I Thanks Jim :I Looks like next week after my Dr.s appointment before go back....I bet Joe was surprised when you told him you were driving it around! :) Will let you know when we get them picked up and I have one or 2 more of them here, I'll see what I can find......

Thanks Brenda, I'll be in touch. By the way, I found a good use for running boards while making the engine change. I took out two head bolts and the two bottem s/g bolts and dropped the whole electrical assembly on the right side running board. It took me about 5 min. to put it back on the new engine. I knew those running boards were good for something. sm01sm01