Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Add electric power angle to snow blade?

OrangeMetalGuy

OrangeMetalGuy
I sure would like to have power angle... wonder if anyone has tried installing a linear actuator, kinda like these: [url]http://www.dcactuators.com/Detail.asp?Product_ID=301.300_6177E[/url] I don't see why it wouldn't work... doesn't need to be fast. I think you could mount it so that at 50% stroke, the blade would be at 90 degrees from the tractor frame, thus retracting it would angle the blade one way and extending to 100% would angle it the other.

I think a DPDT toggle switch and a linear actuator like this on would do it. [url]http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009022117583960&item=5-1577-6&catname=electric[/url]

OrangeMetalGuy
Well, we wouldn't be changing the angle in mid-push.... I'm thinking lift it up (and I have a manual lift, love to have an electric but I know it's slow and the manual is bulletproof).. and while up in the air change the angle. Now, we might need to build the mounting bracket so it could accommodate a shear pin- in case we hit an immovable object, the shear pin would break thus sparing the actuator.

I've thought about this too. I have linear actuators on other implements and I don't think they are usable for a snowplow. The force that a plow gets would strip the gear in an actuator. The only thought I had was to use two actuators. One to lift the pivot-lock pin out of a hole while the other turns it, then put the pin back in so the pin takes all the force, not the actuator. Otherwise, you'll hit some uneven snow, the force would cause the actuator to slip and the plow would pivot. The load rating of the actuators is steady load, not impact load. I think hitting snow would generate somewhere in the 200-500 lbs. of impact which is more than any actuator that we could afford would take. Hydraulic is better suited for plow turning. If you have an old cylinder and pump, making it into a front pulley mount attachment would be perfect for the plow, but making a remote control lever would be a hassle :(

If you are going to use an electric linear actuator, you would probably want to have a latch setup on the plow. A lever that drops into a detent notch to take the load of plowing. This way the load would not be on the actuator. Pull a lever to release the latch, then use the actuator to move to the next detent. This way, the actuator will not take the load and get damaged.
  • Like 1

With the latch needed to carry the shock load, it sounds like the Heavy duty spring blade. The twist to un-latch, and pull or push motion to angle blade, it is not difficult to use. I like my current stock set-up, works fine if you keep it lubed.

Hey guys, I did'nt have time to read carefully and follow all the links, but Warner makes 12 volt linear actuators that can handle 2000 lb static load and provide 1000 lb thrust force. I found 2 of these on ebay for about $30 each a few years ago and planned on using them for power lift and angle on my 6216. I believe they are 8" stroke. I also found a 1000 pound static/ 500 lb thrust actuator with 24" stroke and paid less than $100 figuring it would make a dump cart ram, but it also is sitting in my someday pile. The only tough bit to find is a double pole, double throw switch good for 20+ amps to run them. I believe I got mine from Grainger for about $20 each. Good luck with your project.