Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Removing 30+ years of gunk

OrangeMetalGuy

OrangeMetalGuy
Soon as we get some warm weather I want to de-gunk the 716H. Couple of questions: 1) on the rear end, do I need to be concerned with water getting into the axle or hydro transmission, and if so what's the best way to prevent it? The hydro drips occasionally so I want to get it nice and clean, fix the leak then paint it. 2) on the Kohler engine, other than the air intake do I need to cover up or seal anything else? I do plan to cover the underside of the dash panel to keep water off the electrics. How about the starter/generator? My plan was to use Gunk's gel engine degreaser and a garden hose... was not planning to hit it with a high pressure washer. I want to minimize the chances of water getting past any seals.

• 1 month later...
OrangeMetalGuy
Ok, one last go-around before this weekend. I am going to use the gel-type engine degreaser to clean the engine and engine-area of the frame. I plan to cover the opening on the starter/generator but should I cover anything else? Do I need to take the intake cover off and cover the fan area? Thanks!