Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering wheel removal 3212H

ddavie

Sometimes, the simplest things baffle you...well they do me anyway. How do i separate the steering wheel from the shaft of my 3212H? I see the set screw, but its on there. I have it upside down (still clinging to the dash) with PB Blaster soking it. Do i need some kind of puller?

I tried every puller i could find for the steering wheel on my B-212,( Same as your 3212) and no luck. After I had given up, and was considering how to adapt a leter steering wheel, We tried clamping the steering shaft in a vise and driving the wheel further on the shaft, to remove the key. Once it had went down that far, we sanded teh shaft a bit to clean it and were able to pull it off. No guarantees the method will work for you, but there's the information.

Being as the steering wheel on a 3212 is all plastic coated your best bet if you want to save the wheel is to polish the shaft under the wheel, then take a small piece of pipe or a deep well socket and drive the wheel down, clean the shaft up remove the key and then pull the wheel off. I have used this method with success several times. And also if you can not get the set screw to come lose you can drill it out and if needed tap and oversize the hole to the next larger set screw.

I had the same problem with my 3212v. I did as u did and then tryed a puller on it and it just destoryed the steering wheel. I didn't like the steering wheel anyway. I put a 2010 style wheel on it... The half moon type. Looks nice on it too.:D