Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

relief valve and backfire

Bought a 7118 with the Kohler Command ov 18 hp this weekend at an auction. When I run it for quite a while it backfires when I shut it off. Comcern? Also the pressure relief valve for the hydo was stuck shut . When I removed it and freed the valve up there is no pressure to keep it closed. I assume that there is suppose to be a spring in there somewhere and will have to purchase a new valve. Could this condition have caused any problems? Thanks Mike

The backfire is caused by the EPA engine running hot. When you get ready to shut it off,let it idle for 20 or 30 seconds, then put the throttle at half speed then turn key off. There was a bullitan out on them when they came out. I seen one blow the muffler off. The pressure relief, are you refering to the two valves ontop the transmission or the valve on the side of the trammy. Steve J.