Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bucket with hitch- update

johnmonkey

hello all, I got some time to start the fabricating on my bucket. I used 1/2" plate steel with a hitch for a grader blade. I am going to fabricate a new hitch that will be welded to the plate on the bucket. I am not sure about the length of the tractor hitch. Do you think it's too far from the tractor??? What do you think?jh

Yup, too far from the tractor. Looks good otherwise^ Somethin ain't right with your lift rod, it seems too long, try messing with those collars with set screws on the rod end that hooks up to the bucket hitch. You shouldent have to pull the lift lever back as far as you are to get it to lift. Your left leg probably gets pinned when you pull that lift lever all the way backB) Say, that looks like a dozer blade hitch:O

It's looking pretty good. I'm thinking it may get a little heavy being that far out front. You might have to add some counter weight on the rear.

Thanks Zach, you are correct on the adjustment of the collars, I had it set for my V plow and was too lazy to make a change. Good idea with the counter weight John, I got one of those contraptions from Rod, where the front can be counter balanced with the rear, by adding weights on the rear. Right now I'm figuring out the hitch geometry and then I will look at the counter weight issue. jh Oh I forgot to add, the bucket is from a Gravely, a real well built piece.

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
Looks sweet! I love that model tractor!
Yep, he only has like 11 of them :D:D:D The bucket looks good. It amazes me how talented people are! I agree it may be a little far forward to properly balance with a load.

From the drivers seat, it doesn't seem too far forward. I will add counter weight after I fabricate the hitch I want to use, then I I will look into modifying a hitch (anyone got a hitch for sale??)

John, you will want the bucket as close to the tractor as you can get it and still clear the grille when it is lifted. Remember that the farther it is from the tractor, the harder it is to lift. Also the farther it sits in front of the front axle, the more it tends to pick up the rear wheels when loaded.

I'll have to agree it's too far forward as is. It will twist easier, and be a bear to lift. Like Rod said, it only needs to forward enough to clear the hood when fully raised. I do have a few 3 belt blower hitches around, bet you could buy new stainless steel for the shipping though.

Armstrong steering and Armstrong lift you should have tremendous upper body strength in a few years.I've been thinking about a set up like yours but think I'll need to put it on a tractor with PS and hydraulic lift.

With it that far out, it would work like a teeter totter pivoting on the front wheels. As others noted, much harder to lift. If you don't need to adjust the angle, do without the pivoting part by the scoop and unless you need the hitch for something else, maybe you could cut off part of the arms or if workable add holes at the back end so you can mount it back further. On the other hand, if it works and you only need it for light loads, use it and enjoy.

I have an old hitch from a bolens. I will look at that. It will need a lift part attached and some beefing up, but it is a lot shorter (maybe too short :(). jh

Ok, I had some time to look things over. I am thinking of modifying a bolens hitch (pictures to come). I will make the hitch so the back of the bucket will be about one inch in front of the lift bracket. It will be about seven inches shorter than the existing one. The hitch will be about 16" long from the front axle attachment place to the back of the bucket. Do you think that will work? Thanks, jh

• 3 weeks later...
Here are some pics of my new hitch. Is it supposed to pivot off of the axle attachment points? I still have to fabricate the lift part and the dump part. jh

Wayyy beter, if you are unsure ship it to me and I will run it thru a battery of rigorous tests to make sure it meets specs:D

That looks a lot better to me. Will the bucket still clear the grill when raise max. hieght? went out and measured the one I built several years back, from mounting hole to the center of the pipe I used wher you have a channel iron is 13 1/2 inches, gets just enough lift to empty the bucket, maybe clear a couple inches, can't remember for sure.

Hey Marty, yes the bucket will clear. I am working on the lift mechanism now. I sure will be able to use this when it's done. jh

Simpleton7016
Jimiity crickets John, are you on spring break or something? What's with all the tractor time these days?