Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

64 landlord carb ?

automan_007

ok i picked up this 64 landlord it was all apart and i'm slowly getting it together i managed to get it to run but the carb is junk(not rebuildable) any idea what other carbs i could use? maybe some part numbers or model numbers,,to help in my search thanks

The carb for the 10hp (243431) engine is supposed to work with it. I have seen the 23D carbs on ebay though. What is not rebuildable? Congrats on the find, mine was the same boat. I had to load my 64 onto the trailer with a handtruck|). Its a sweet machine when you have it together though.

That carb is a "large Flo-Jet" and yes they are on ebay all the time. Briggs used them for years and they are all the same basic carb. You can ID them by the three screws holding the carb top on as opposed to 4 screws on the "small Flo-Jet". As long as the nozzle is not siezed in the body and they are not badly corroded they should rebuild easily. Real simple carbs. You will find different throttle lever positions but you could swap yours. I can get you the rebuild kit or individual gasket #s if you need them. Gary

Any large "flow jet" some shops call them an "updraft carb" will work. Earlier engines up through a 23D had a three screw top and newer 6 digit model numbered engines have a 4 screw top. Basically a carburetor off any single cylinder horizontal shaft cast iron block Briggs 9hp to 16 hp engine will work. I have an 8hp with a medium "flow jet" and do not think the large size carb was used on 8hp and smaller. Flow Jet is what Briggs called them and they made three sizes small, medium and large. As far as rebuilding goes if shafts and bushings are tight and top and bottom are not warped it is easy to put in a kit, bushings etc are a little trickier depending on your skills. Buy the briggs antique engine repair manual you won't regret it. Good luck with your project.

Gee, when did these cast iron briggs become antique? My repair manual doesn't say any such thing on it:D. Though I must addmit, I don't recall how may decades ago I bought it.

Steve, if you do find a 4-bolt top carb, you will need the intake that bolts to the engine. (curved piece that carb bolts to) The carb mounting for the 4-bolt intake is wider than your 3-bolt. I have seen people slot the carb mounting holes for the 3-bolt carbs and get them to work on the 4-bolt intake. Depending on what is wrong with your carb, parts for these carbs are still readily available. (Jack's small engines is one source) One more note, the top of the 3-bolt carbs like yours are natorious for warping over time and causing fuel leakage and vacuum leaks. Sometimes this can be corrected with some "creative filing" and the use of 2 gaskets. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted............

i also have a 3112v,so i was thinking one style of carb for both machines but i may have come across a 700 or 725,,not totaly sure yet i discovered it on the way to work on wednesday so now the big question is anything the same betwwen the 700,725 and the 314?

A fair bit is overall similar, but the engines are different. The 314 engine(23D) bears a genetic relation to the later 10hp engines. The chassis is pretty much the same other than the hood and dash.

At my age everything seems like it is becoming an antique! I stand corrected. The title to the book I was referring to is " Repairman"s Handbook". Service manual for out of production engines 1919 - 1981. Sorry the goofnut.