Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PHILF

MY 3416S

PHILF
I HAVE A STANDARD '73 UNMODIFIED 3416S, WITH THE BIG 1 CYL BRIGGS ENGINE. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN PUT AN ELECTRONIC IGNITION ONTO IT, AND IF SO WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET ONE. THIS ENGINE HAS THE POINTS LOCATED IN A LITTLE BOX ON THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE DRIVEN BY A CAM INSIDE THE CRANKCASE. ALSO, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW BEST TO SOLVE A STICKY GOVERNOR PROBLEM? WHEN ENGINE GETS HOT, THE GOVERNOR DOESN'T WORK WELL, AND ENGINE DOESN'T HAVE POWER UP HILLS, AND OVER SPEEDS DOWN HILLS. I'M PRETTY SURE A GOVERNOR REPAIR MEANS GOING INTO THE CRANKCASE, SO I WANT TO DO THE BEST REPAIR POSSIBLE THE FIRST TIME DUE TO THE WORK REQUIRED. THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE!!! PHIL

Ryan
Phil, Yes, you can put an electronic ignition on it. It is called a megatron ignition. You have to get the flywheel repolarized to match the megatron. B&S will do this for free. You can get the address from your local briggs dealer. Governor problem? Ryan

carter
Phil, I'd sure check out the governor springs before tearing into the engine. Most Briggs & Stratton dealers have a Single Cylinder repair manual for sale. It is part number 270962-12/97. Less than $20 and will pay for itself on the first job. It shows exactly how the springs should be set up for your engine. Ron