Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis 712 help needed.

orangebgood

My latest project is an AC 712 with a Kohler K301 engine. I replaced the points and am getting a spark now but the spring and link is missing from the governer arm. Any chance someone that has one of these could send me a picture of that area so I know where they go. Also need to find the parts. This one has the shuttle transmission that seems to get a lot of poor reviews.

As for the reputation of shuttle transmission, I have had one for over 7 years with no problems. Right after I got it, I did have to replace the belts. I use it for mowing, tilling and pushing snow with a 42" front snow blade. It is really nice for snow because it goes just as fast in reverse as forward. Mine is an AC712S that I re-powered as soon after I got it as I could find a motor. I re-powered with a Kohler K341, 16 horse power. I did the re-power because the original 301 was burning oil so bad I had to change cloths after using the tractor. That 12 horse still had enough power to do the work I needed it to do even burning oil like crazy! Mine is a 78 or 79 model. Dan aka IronPony

Thanks for the response. I was hoping they weren't all bad. I used to have a Gravely 408 with a shuttle tranny. I agree that they are nice to work with especially plowing the driveway.