Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

todays welding project

plastikosmd

well the repower has a muffler that wont fit the hood, I priced a new muffler, decided to use an old stack I had around. It needed to be shortened and a new flange.

the stockpile

all trimmed, and a new flange made from stock, gasket for reference

havent tig'ed in a year, and sort of a pain welding thin/thick but it came out ok. I would call it a 55 mph weld, that is about as fast as i would trust it

Nice looking fab job. I like your stock pile all my stock is about 6in long or shorter,I need to build it up again. We'll need a picture after you install it.:D

if you can stick and braze you can tig. lot more control and fun. If you are near by feel free to come practice. I need to weld a plate to the 2 side fins for support and make a bracket to bolt to one of the head bolts for support. will do that tomorrow and drill the 2 holes in the flange. will snap a pic when done..then 1 solder connection to make and it can go back together

The picture of your stockpile made me drool!:drl My stock is all leftover parts of farm machinery, junk gt's and stuff I've found along the road! And, it's all either rusty or covered in seven layers of paint.:Q Oh well, poor people have poor ways.C|: Looking forward to the installed pics, should look slick!dOd

ya...i probably have ...hrm..150 bucks into that stock. Wherever i find it i grab it. a lot of dirty clothes from dumpster diving. I didnt even have to cut a piece of it up..just dug through a bucket and found this plate..perfect size

We are starting to do TIG at school, its pretty hard but like many things you practice and you will get betterdOd Auto darkening helmets also help you do cleaner looking welds because you can see where you are starting. Do you use one?

---" dumpster diving."--- ah, now there's a man of my own heart, there are 3 on the way to Fairbanks I try not to miss.:) NICE stock pile. I need to rebuild mine some, good welding iron is hard to come by up here for free.

No, no auto dark. I dont know what I am missing. I have the regular type...big head shake to fip it down, with one foot sittin on the pedal, one hand holding rod, one the torch and one foot on the floor..I have only fell over 3x doing that..grin

just one...but have had him for 13 yrs. tho he tried to die on us again this year...he is up to his 4th life