Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 starting to paint , need some advice

Time1992

I got a lot of priming done today on the small stuff and I am ready to start final coat on some stuff. I am using a rattle can on small parts but I want to use something really strong and durable on the running boads/footrests and brake/clutch pedal, I am thinking maybe some spray on bedliner stuff or some really tough paint, any thoughts ? Also I dont have a Tractor Supply here yet ( soon ) so what type of paint should I use for sheet metal top coat ? I dont want to have to do alot of buffing or polishing but want a great shine ( can you tell Im gettin lazy ) Thanks, Tim

go with the bed liner I sprayed the in side of the b1 do to the bat. looks good as well as the pedal and the foot peg. then I just panted and clear cote after that. looked good and the paint stuck good, now you can even get color in the bed liner now. good luck ps just powder coat it. :D

I painted mine with an industrial enamel sprayed with a cheap syphon gun. Had a great shine to it.

I bought the paint at a local paint store. Any industial enamel paint seems to work good for me in the past.

Beautifull tractor Rich, can you tell me where you got the seat ? it looks great too. Oh yea plese post more pics. Tim

Don't know about the seat, came with the tractor. It was about the only thing that didn't need any work.

Here's my 4040 I had.

This one shows my bucket I welded up.

Rich did you use a rattle can for the small stuff like the fuel tank and the dash tower or the wheels ? The whole thing looks like you took it to a pro ( heck I dont know maybe you are )lol Tim

Is the black a high gloss ? I have started with a semi-gloss black and I kinda like it, I also painted the running boards with a spray on truck bed liner and they match the semi color. I will also use it on the brake and clutch pedels so they dont wear so easy. What kind of rattle can paint did you use, anything special ?

tracktor312
When I did mine used ppg omaha orange it looked nice I wish I took some better pics of it.