Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gasket

dads707

If it were me I'd lay a piece of gasket stock over the pump body, tap lightly around it with a ball pean hammer on inside and outside and put it together.

I'm with Marty on this one. You are probably going to cut you own gasket. Thin neoprene, or carb gasket stock. Ask you local NAPA what they have for gasket stock that will resist oil. Trace it out, cut and install.

Do you mean to say that gaskets can be purchased already made? That is a refreshing bit of news! I'd make the gasket, like I do all the rest. Good parts stores keep Garlock material in several thicknesses and compositions. I wouldn't try the likes of Advance, O'Reilly or Autozone, but, Napa, a local mom and pop, or even Pep Boys should have what you are looking for.

I overhauled one last year and if memory serves me Al said this gasket nla. Permatex blue works pretty well. These pumps are known to seep & thats 1 reason later round tank style is more popular.

quote:
Originally posted by dads707
Anyone got an idea of how thick it needs to be. I will probably use something like Garlock..
Don't you have the sample (old) gasket to get the thickness from?

Pretty old and brittle when it came apart, no way to tell anything about it. The one in the pic looks looks pretty thick..

You can get a sheet of gasket material, some bluing, blue the pump housing, press it into the new gasket material and then cut out the tracing.