Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow Plowing Question

MPH

Just read this on the news page on msn In New York, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced more than 1,300 sanitation workers would spread salt and plow city streets to prepare for more than a foot of snow. I can see spreading salt to keep it from freezing to the street but how's plowing snow to PREPARE for it work??? Have i been doing it wrong all these years by plowing after it falls.:D

joshuaareed
Marty it is what I like to call sharpening the blades, I see it all the time when a NY state plow is plowing nothing at all, other than a dusting of slush. I guess they have to be really sharp for when we do get snow so that they cut through it better. Just kidding, although they are known to do things very different in the Big City.

Well, I am no fan of Bloomberg, but in his defense, here in Oshkosh Wisconsin they will get out and clear the curbs of any snow from the previous storm that is left before another storm hits,,,,maybe that is what they were talking about? And by the way, MPH, we plow after it falls here too, and I think we are doing it right! Steve

Maybe they are clearing the streets of the stripped down cars, abandoned furniture and such left on the streets:D.

It didn't extend inland more than six miles of so, but those folks got a good dumping. It was an anomaly of the storm that went thru the east cost. http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/40527482.html

quote:
Originally posted by Architectdave
Here in Maine when they are on the ball, not often, they wing back banks before big storms....
Yup , out my way they do that within days of a storm in prep for upcoming storms . They are also really good about actual snow removal . Within 2 days they are out there with dump trucks and bucket loaders getting rid of the bankings .