Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1706692SM Simp. electric clutch

mbsengineer

mbsengineer
I just did a manual search for this and came up with no hits. Does anyone know if this would fit on the front driveshaft of a Simp. 7000 series? Then I could use this instead of getting the front cone clutch contraption that was the factory standard for running front implements. Thanks!

Not sure if it will work, but looks like it was used on 17hp Kawasaki Landlords as well as 16 and 18 hp B&S Landlords. Retails for $300. Hope that helps a little.

You could probably find a factory front PTO setup for 300 and it would bolt right up^ With the electric clutch you would have to wire it and secure it to the engine and all that. Also the pulley on the electric clutch might not be the right size for the attachments you are looking to run. The pulley on the factory setup is quite large. Just a thought.

mbsengineer
Thanks for the help. I was asking b/c I could have bought one of these electric ones for $60 ... which is much cheaper then I've seen the factory setups. But since I wasn't sure it would bolt on, I didn't bother to buy it. I'll keep looking. 8D

Also remember that some old 7000 series don't have much for a charging system. The 7016's for the most part if not all used a 3 amp unregulated DC system as part of the Briggs dual circuit alternator set up. Between the electric clutch and cranking the engine, that battery may not ever get charged up if the tractor isn't run for long periods of time or getting put on a charger on a regular basis. A 7012 with a Kohler should be fine - those usually had a 10 or 15 amp system. Tim

Timjr is incorrect, The 7000 series used a starter generator setup that when working properly will put out 10 to 15 amps. The charging system is just as powerful as a kohler's. Simplicity also had power attachment lifts as an available option for the 7000 series and that draws far more power than an electric clutch. If you decide to go with an electric clutch the charging system, if working properly, will handle the load just finedOd

Zach, you are wrong. You need to do research before calling someone out on something so easily verified. Early 7000's did have a S/G. Later ones with Briggs could have come with a dual circuit alternator. It wasn't specified above what exact model of 7000 series was being asked about. Check out a late 7016, 1690423 - they have a 326437 0252 01 7901xxx engine in them - that is a gear starter with a dual circuit alternator. Also, the electric lift is basically momentary. An electric PTO clutch is on for however long you have the PTO on. A normal clutch can easily draw 3 amps - can vary by clutch manufacturer. Go do your math - a battery won't charge up if your charging system is only capable of 3 amps. Tim