Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What kind of knob?

steve-wis

Hello, Been working a bit on the 616 yeoman I picked up a bit ago. The lever on the left side that engages the drive for the deck is just a rod with a plain end, no threads or anything. The manual shows a knob for there, but not good enough to see if it is round or something else. Anyone know what goes there? Appreciate any help. By the way, got a blade and hitch coming for it, hopefully by the end of the week. Will post pics when it is on. Steve

Small round Black knob. To bad you didn't tkink of that a couple weeks ago when you were here I probably got a couple.

They are a generic hardware store knob. I just made a blade mechanism with a plain unthreaded end and ended up using a 3/8" (hole size) ball knob. The hole is just large enough that the threads slide onto the shaft and leave a little space for epoxy(or whatever you choose).

Steve, The Yeoman didn't come with a knob on the end of the rod. It was a small black rubber end that slipped over the rod. Here is a picture of a Yeoman 616 that I owned. If you look closely you will see what I am talking about. (By the way, those are tires from a Broadmoor mounted on the Yeoman wheels).

Tom

Zach, It's too late for that. I sold it last summer when I was clearing out my Broadmoor fleet. It was a real clean original machine though. Tom

Once again, thanks to you all for the info. I will make up a plastic end to look like the ones in the pics and glue it on. Todd, my blade will be here by the end of the week, and will be posting a couple of pics when I get it mounted. I picked up some chain today, and got the lift bar for the deck made at work so that will go on maybe tomorrow. By the way, I will need to paint the lift bar. What rattle can paint matches the closest to the older symplicity red color? Steve

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
Plasticoat Chevy oarange #1607
I use #1607 for 1967 and older simplicitys and #1620 for 1968 and newer. They both say chevy orange. And I it's dupli-color engine enamial. Hope this helps. Mike