Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Block heater?

OrangeMetalGuy

OrangeMetalGuy
Just out of curiosity, is there a way to install a block heater... with temps in the 9's and 10's here I think it would help starting.

I have seen the magnetic ones that may work??? Just a thought. I halogen light on it for 15 minutes will do wonders too.

First you should be running winter oil. I use 5-30 and or 10-30 synthetic. There are oil heaters that you put down the oil add tube. UCD uses a heat lamp

As long as you run 5w30 or similar and you don't leave your tractor outside you should have no problems starting. Hows your battery?

In simplicity owners manuals that I have read it says to fill the fuel tank upon the completion of each use to reduce condensation in the fuel tank in cold weather.

My old 78 AC712 (re-power to Kohler 16hp) starts well below zero as long as I keep a battery minder on the battery and I am using a synthetic blend oil. I keep her in an open carport. I tried to use one of the magnetic heaters but there is just no where to mount that there is enough flat surface to make a suitable contact to transfer heat Dan aka IronPony

There isn't surface enough on any of the engines to effectively use a magnetic heater. And if it is not clamped good, you burn out the element. My thought is that you are better off using an infrared bulb down on the crankcase. That solves one problem. You transmission and or hydro are also colder then a well diggers behind and they should also be heated to make the staring process easier.

When I used to have to park mine outside under a cardboard box I pulled the engines and put the glue on oil pan heaters on them. Think they are 75 watt, plug in for an hour or so and they started like summer time at 20-30 below, colder then that I just didn't need to use them. I get mine from NAPA. Don't think I have one around for a picture, though I may have postted a pic of one 5-6 years ago.

First you should be running winter oil. I use 5-30 and or 10-30 synthetic. There are oil heaters that you put down the oil add tube. UCD uses a heat lamp

OrangeMetalGuy
Yeah I use winter oil, 10W-30. And it is kept outside (for now) under a tractor cover. I realized when reading thru the AC manual last night that I haven't been stepping on the clutch to disengage the hydro pump when starting. I have to remember that.

It also seems important with the splash-lube engines to keep using them. Even if its moving leaves around the yard, I try to run mine every week or two to keep the oil moving. As long as I do that it doesn't take much at all to start(usually first crank).