Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Whats wrong with my 725 ?

Vinnie_A

Last week this 725 was my easiest starting tractor and now it has died. The battery is ok and the batt terminals are clean yet it will not turn over. Sounds like a bad ignition switch or starter generator. Can I jump across either one with a portable battery pack and if so how do I make the connections. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Yes you can. Connect the jumpack ground to the chassis or the ground lug on the battery. I like to put the ground on the SG mounting lug. If you are bypassing the starter solenoid, touch the positive wire to the post on the SG that has the wire going to the starter solenoid. I don't remember which one it is without looking it up. I'm not sure about the 725, but on my 700 the solenoid is the large switch on the dash that you push with your hand, so trace the wire from there. I don't clamp the battery pack to the post, I just push the clamp against the end of the post. Clamping it on can damage the threads, because of the arcing. If it turns over when you do this, then you have either a bad starter solenoid switch or a broken wire.

JJ MARSHALL
its the inside post on the s/g if you hook the pos up first you can touch the neg last it will not arch on the s/g post thread JJ

That model didn't have a solenoid if I recall. I think it's likely the switch wore or corroded out. Take a meter and check for continuity across the switch and check for voltage present at the the starter when switch is pressed. If it is present and above 12v at the starter with the switch pressed, let off the button and spin the starter slightly. Try again. Often, the commutator can get a dead spot and the turn can put it past the dead spot. This is not an everyday band-aid, simply a diagnostic tool. Note, this is only for non-solenoid units like 9hp LL, 700 and 725.

What do you need a battery on a 725 for? Grab the rope wind it up and give it a pull. I do that all the time.Dad would never buy a battery for our old wonderboy 700 so the rope was the only way to start it back in the late 60's.Bob