Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tine extensions

Simpleton7016

Simpleton7016
I have heard that the tine extensions will place undo stress on the rototiller bearings. Has anyone ever burned through rototiller bearings (extensions or not)? I have used mine for 10 years now (without extensions) and never had a problem. But now i got a new toy and want to play with it now that spring is right around the corner. (P.S.) I was searching the archives (one year at a time to avaoid being timed out) but then it would time me out even in six and three month increments. So I am posting here. All the posts I read from 1998 through 2004 mentioned that it was theoretically possible, but I have never ever heard mention of anyone replacing tiller bearings.

i vaguely remember reading a post by someone who was replacing their tiller bearings. i also read a post by someone who broke the chain in their tiller. i have used mine for 9 or 10 years without any problems. it has the extensions on it. i grease the fittings once a year, sometimes more, and i wash it after i finish tilling. i have two spare tillers. one has no extensions and the other has no knives on it. never put either on a tractor. someday i will test them out(i keep looking for knives at the tractor shows but they are a very low priority)

I don't think it will do much to the bearings but it will make the drive unit work harder. I would expect the shear pins to break before any real damage is done but I have not tried extended tines so I can't say for sure.

Simpleton7016
yeah thanks guys. Kind of as i suspected. I did hit a kind of football shaped rock once and it sucked up and got wedged between the tines and the tin. That was a mother to get out. 16 ponies can really wedge unwelcome items - I can't imagine what a diesel or bigger motor can do). Kind of like when I suck up 6 feet of drain tile pipe through the snowblower....spent over an hour cutting all the hose out - and it was freezing out!

"I can't imagine what a diesel or bigger motor can do" did you mean engine or do you run it off the battery or an extension cord? you have me confused? FYI: An engine runs off of fuel. while a motor uses electricity in most cases. you did not say a boat or a motor cycle witch defines a motor. I have used the tiller extensions on my dads tiller and he has had them on there before I was born, he has never had a problem with them. other then a bolt falling out on the extensions, that I remember.

I'm replacing the bearings on my rototiller, tom. I can post some pictures of the process when I get to putting them in.

quote:
Originally posted by nateb17010
"I can't imagine what a diesel or bigger motor can do" did you mean engine or do you run it off the battery or an extension cord? you have me confused? FYI: An engine runs off of fuel. while a motor uses electricity in most cases. you did not say a boat or a motor cycle witch defines a motor. I have used the tiller extensions on my dads tiller and he has had them on there before I was born, he has never had a problem with them. other then a bolt falling out on the extensions, that I remember.
Not to be a smart (fill in the blank) but many of us older mechanics grew up with the MOTOR REPAIR MANUAL. :D8D:D}:)

;):D I know what your saying as my son often tries to correct me when he visits and I am out in the shop working on my toys. sm03

Simpleton7016
:D Well thanks for coming to my defense Mike. I'd love to jump on your explanation and ride it as my excuse, but I am not yet "older", and there is not a soul in America that would confuse me with a mechanic. I use the terms motor and engine interchangably, and do so out of plain ol' ignorance. :D

quote:
Originally posted by nateb17010
you did not say a boat or a motor cycle witch defines a motor.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary witch 7 entries found. 1witch (noun) 2witch (verb)water witch, witch doctor, witch hazel, witch hunt, witch of Agnesi. Main Entry: 1witch Pronunciation: \#712;wich\ Function: noun 1: one that is credited with usually malignant supernatural powers ; especially : a woman practicing usually black witchcraft often with the aid of a devil or familiar : sorceress — compare warlock 2: an ugly old woman : hag 3: a charming or alluring girl or woman 4: a practitioner of Wicca 5: witch of agnesi — witch·like \#712;wich-#716;lîk\ adjective — witchy \#712;wi-chç\ adjective which 2 entries found. 1which (adjective) 2which (pronoun) Main Entry: 1which Pronunciation: \#712;hwich, #712;wich\ Function: adjective 1 : being what one or ones out of a group —used as an interrogative <which tie should I wear><kept a record of which employees took their vacations in July> 2 : whichever <it will not fit, turn it which way you like> 3 —used as a function word to introduce a nonrestrictive relative clause and to modify a noun in that clause and to refer together with that noun to a word or word group in a preceding clause or to an entire preceding clause or sentence or longer unit of discourse <in German, which language might…have been the medium of transmission — Thomas Pyles><that this city is a rebellious city… : for which cause was this city destroyed — Ezra 4:15 (Authorized Version)>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary My interpretation of Websters definition is that Both Words are acceptable. But what do I know Main Entry: 1 en·gine Pronunciation: \#712;en-j#601;n\ Function: noun 1obsolete a: ingenuity b: evil contrivance : wile 2 a: something used to effect a purpose : agent , instrument <mournful and terrible engine of horror and of crime — E. A. Poe> b: something that produces a particular and usually desirable result <engines of economic growth> 3 a: a mechanical tool: as (1): an instrument or machine of war (2)obsolete : a torture implement b: machinery c: any of various mechanical appliances —often used in combination <fire engine> 4: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion ; also : a mechanism or object that serves as an energy source <black holes may be the engines for quasars> 5: a railroad locomotive 6: computer software that performs a fundamental function especially of a larger program — en·gine·less adjective Main Entry: 1 mo·tor Pronunciation: \#712;mô-t#601;r\ Function: noun 1: one that imparts motion ; specifically : prime mover 2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a: a small compact engine b: internal combustion engine ; especially : a gasoline engine c: a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy 3: motor vehicle ; especially : automobile — mo·tor·dom \-d#601;m\ noun — mo·tor·less \-l#601;s\ adjective

well spell check only gave me that 1 correct response, so take it up with the computer. when you go to collage as a diesel student your constantly corrected. like there is no such thing as vacuum just low pressure. you know we could do this on all the topics if you want? so that no one wants to say "type" anything anymore, but what is all of this gaining? ******** off members, that's it, and I'm not the only one that feels this way. why don't you all take a chill pill or two. it's only words. further more if it sounds the same, and has a different meaning, your telling me you don't under stand what some one is trying to say? that's just sad and your just a bully with nothing better to do then put other AC fans down. thank god I have been made fun of my hole life, so I can take it and dish it out, just the same so are you still wanting to do this some more?? I'm "tired" of it, but you must not. have a good day :D

Simpleton7016
This whole little e-battle makes me very uncomfortable. Can someone please be the better person and just refrain from taking more shots at the other? Maybe my horribly dysfunctional marriage is a blessing in disguise....I have learned to just ignore the behaviors that I find annoying and let her make a fool of herself. I have learned that other people DO recognize her behaviors for what they are....so I can just ignore them and do not need to feel compelled to point them out - doing so does not have a good result no matter how pure my intentions are. I think you are both valuable club members and I have no issue with either. I would hate to lose either, so can you just commit to ignore each other? Rodney King boys, Rodney King. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfr2CgIPhg[/url]

I got it, both of you should get your fastest tractor and meet after school and have a tractor drag race!!!:D:D:D Winner take all!

All I can say is that it must've been a long, cold winter... Spelling errors, Word choices, Which forum a topic best fits in.... These are really issues worth arguing over, making oneself look childish, and generally ruining the whole experience for everyone else.... You'd think some of these grey haired guys would grow up some day.... My two cents...

Attempting to get back on topic, I have no data to support my opinion but adding extensions will increase the load on the bearings. I doubt that it will mean instant failure or the engineers would not have designed it for extensions. Hard heavy clay soil will probably cause more load than adding extensions in lighter soil or soil that has already been turned with a plow or harrow. Just my opinion, but that is what my limited common sense tells me. 8D

I side with Mike on this one. Seems if you take care of your machinery and land and turn before tilling that it would cause less stress on the tiller, even with extensions. I have extensions on my tiller from the mid 60s that doesn't appear to have ever been split in half to repair. And the same goes for the tractors "motor" that has never had any major repairs and is also a mid 60s machine. Dorry about that last little plug, but I'm on NO one's side here. I call em both engines and motors depending on who I'm having the conversation with. Was is Sammy Hagar that quipped the saying in one of his songs that said, get on your old motor scooter and ride? Long extension cord there eh? XX(:D;) Nate..ease up there. It's a no win situation, trust us all when saying that because many of us has been sitting right where you are and know from experience. (Checking for gray hair) 8D

I actually knew of a fellow that had a "motor" on his rototiller!:o)Yes, a long extension cord! He was to say the least, eccentric.;) Even more so than me.:D As far as the bearings in a simple tractor tiller, my brain has to side also with Mike and Sean. I would think it would be similar to running dual wheels on the rear of the tractor itself. As long as there was not more contact on the outer tines(or tires) than the inner, the forces would not be too much for the bearings to handle. Just my thoughts, like they are worth much.;)

OK, Nates back in the gang:D Tomato, Tomotto everything is well again. I was up for a good tractor race though!!!

There was a guy that geared his 728 and I thought he said he got it to 35 ish. Wonder what speed it gets a high speed wobble?:D I may take my little guys to the Waukesha County Fair this year to see the garden tractor pulls...

35 mph on a 728?:O Scary to say the least! I never clocked the old Montgomery Ward I Tim Taylored in high school, but let's just say I was 15y/o and basically fearless but only put it in high gear once! Come on guys, get that race scheduled, it would make a great Youtube vid!:o) BTW Nate, what's the puller?

Simpleton7016: are you going with the extensions then, or not? B-16_IC: I have the largest driving pulley, i think an 8" maybe a 6" that I can fit and clear the seat deck support, and the smallest pulley I could find to be driven on the rear, I think it's a 1" but can't remember correctly right off hand. no I never got clocked with it. so the speed is still unknown, I was just going of stock speed and trying to do the math. it's still not my favorite. the rear end howls in 3rd gear, with wind in your face, and you don't steer much at all at full throttle. if you want to see a picture of it, look at my show and tell things I have this is not my thread and I messed it up already and don't need to again. by the way here is a pore picture of the tiller.

I should be bringing it in to get ready to till in the coming weeks if you would like better pic?

Are you guys breaking the ground before you till? I would not dream of running a tiller on unbroken ground down here though I have seen some do it.