Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1 AC 5020 with blower

nateb17010

went to an auction today and there was a AC 5020 diesel with a snow blower, cab, and a deck if they can come up with one? well starting bid was a $1500.00 and it climbed slowly to $2200.00 and sold. no I was not that lucky to get it, but wish I had. very clean and looked well maintained. that was it a couple of jd's and a off brand rider. oh well did not buy anything but got to talk to some friends, it was still a nice day. the tractor was sold by Edens ltd. some time a go witch I think he is still a member here? he is a good fellow to talk tractors with that is if you can get him to stand still for a moment. I have bought tractors, engines and parts from him before and every fall he puts on a good tractor pull and one of the best tracks around. so with was said is this a fare price to pay for one this size? I know with no picture it's hard I for got to bring the camera with me. I seen a 720 going for over $1500.00 last week in rust and primer, and needed things fixed as well are the two even comparable?

Yes, they were Hinimoto. They usually sell for around $3000 for a good one around here. I've heard most parts are discontinued. I think these tractors were also sold under other brands, I think Ford and Massey.

5020 where made from '77-'85 5045 was made 1 year '81 so did this take over for the 720 type of tractors?

Nathan, the 50 series tractors were offered to compete with the entry of the compact tractors such as Kubota and the like in the early 80's. The Sunstar tractors were the replacement for the 620/720/9020 line of sub-compact tractor or lawn and garden sized tractors. This falls in the same category as JD's 400/420/430 series and Massey's 1650. All had between 16 & 20 or so HP. 2000 RPM PTO's and could be equipped with various mowing decks, blades, snow blowers, loaders, and so on. These were meant to be the KINGs of the garden tractors while the 5015/5020 transitioned into the light duty tractor size but still able to be equipped with a mowing deck and smaller attachments. It's only my opinion but I feel like there was a large collaboration between AC and Simplicity to build the 620/720 tractor. The way it was built, the heavy duty parts and such it looks to me to be in a class by it's self for durability and craftsmanship. It comes as close to a real tractor as any of the sub-compacts of this time frame. Anyway, I hope this sheds some light on your question.