Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Coming Soon...now done

Mike

I purchased some kohler carb bushings from www.lakotaracing.com. I will be photographing the complete rebushing procedure on one of these carbs. I never could find anyone with any experience doing this, so maybe this will be helpful. Mike

Hope you ordered the butterfly screws as well. The ones you have to remove break fairly easily. The Kohler kit supplies them as well as a new throttle shaft. Kohler also provides purple loctite, not blue because of temperatures as I understand it. Kohler kit number 2575717S.

If possible, you should braze the throttle lever to the new throttle shaft - it isn't exactly a great fit, and could rattle loose and wreck your not replaceable throttle lever. Tim

Well,I didn't order the screws, so we'll have to see how it goes. I can't believe how much the kit costs.......Mike

I guess I thought you were referring to the Kohler throttle shaft replacement kit. It has a bushing for the upper part of the carb body, and comes with a new shaft to replace the worn factory stuff in the Kohler (Carter) carb. They aren't cheap, but a whole carb is a lot more, and a worn carb is just going to cost someone the piston and cylinder sooner than later. What part number did you order from Lakota? Tim

found this today... http://cgi.ebay.com/KOHLER-ENGINE-CARBURETOR-THROTTLE-SHAFT-BUSHING-KIT_W0QQitemZ280321026504QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

• 2 weeks later...
Ok here we go... I was nervous about breaking the plate screws taking it apart.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-carb 012.JPG[/img]
Talking about old school, a hog ring in place of the screws, and this thing did run even though the plate was loose.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-carb 001.JPG[/img]
All apart, I have no idea how the previous guy closed that hog ring, I had to hacksaw it out.Notice how throttle lever is welded to shaft.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-carb 002.JPG[/img]
out of round shaft hole.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-carb 004.JPG[/img]
new bushing in, pressed in easily with a pliars.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-carb 006.JPG[/img]
I had to drill and tap throttle shaft for new screws.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-carb 008.JPG[/img]
Carb back on, notice the not factory linkage on top, oh well it works.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-carb 009.JPG[/img]
Carb on and running smoothly in this picture, choke no longer needed to keep running.