Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck lift

steve-wis

Good morning, Got the lift lever mounted on my 616 yeoman and yesterday hooked up the deck lift. Had to make the bar that bolts to the top of the deck, and bought some chain and links. All hooked up, but when I lift the deck it raises really crooked. The hitch pins have alot of slop and this lets the deck hang almost to touching on the left side when the right side is lifted almost to the frame. Is this too much slop in the pins? Thinking of drilling out to the next bigger size, which would mean drilling out the blade mount also, which is no problem. The question is how much slop do these pins need to have? I am thinking maybe 1/32 of an inch? Any thoughts? Thanks Steve

Todd, Thanks for the info. Going to pull the deck today and check everything over and go from there. If the pin holes don't look like they are worn too bad I will leave it as it is. Steve

I personally like a very minor ammount of play in the pins. If mine get bad, I drill them out for the apropriate size of bushing. At a hardware store they are pretty generic and cheap. When I replaced the holes with bushings on my LL deck it became straight and level. Note the most important is the rocker link holes. The pins to the chassis are not as critical. The "L" brackets usually consist of 3 holes and the lower deck-side is what determines most of the crooked tilt issues. Usually the tolerance for the pins is to have the holes be just easy to slide through but no bigger.

Most decks I've seen hang crooked I never worried about it as a matter of fact I seldom even hook the deck lift up.

Well, just got in from working on the 616. Spent about three hours on it, checking air filter and plug, removing and cleaning and lubing the recoil, adjusting the belt guides (no more grinding when shifting), topped off the tranny. Then I took off the deck. The pins are kind of loose but not as bad as I thought they would be. All of the other joints on the deck mount are nice and tight, and the deck does mow level. It is just that the lift picks up the deck from the side, not near center, so all of the play in the pins that attach it to the tractor let it lean over crooked when lifted. For now, I am going to leave it alone. Took it out and down the sidewalk for a short test drive, and the neighbor I bought it from came over and checked out the shifting. I had told him it was an easy fix to stop the grinding, but I don't think he believed me, which is why he sold it to me. He looked a bit jealous when he saw how nice it shifted. It does burn a bit of oil, so if I decide to restore it some I will overhaul the engine. For now, a nice little tractor, just waiting for the snow blade to show up. Steve

Willy, the only reason I wanted it hooked up is because in my back yard there is always at least one hose that I need to run over every time I work back there. Usually an extension cord or two also. I pick it all up when I mow, but for just pulling a cart around, I like to lift the deck and just run them over. Otherwise, I agree, not really much need to pick it up. Even as crooked as it hangs, it will clear the obstacles that I need to jump over, so will leave it alone till I get the blade that I bought and check that all out. Steve

they all are suppoded to be slanted, lower on left, and i just push down on the deck with my right foot when its raised to get the left to get over obsticals.