Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How to remove deck spindle bearings?

cojo92

Anyone know how to remove the bearings from the deck spindles?? having some trouble. B) Thanks in advance! MIKE

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds as if you have the spindles out of the towers but the bearings remained. Is this correct? The reason I ask is because when I took mine apart the bearings stayed on the spindles and I just put them in the press and removed the bearings. Chris

I just reread your post and boy did I mess upXX(. Now that you have the spindles out the easiest way is to use a press to remove the bearings. I would not use a hammer as you will peen the ends of the spindles. Your other option is to use a 4 1/2" grinder with a zip wheel or a torch to remove them. Make sure to remove any burrs or other blemishes from the spindle before installing the new bearings. Sorry for the mess up:o) Chris

OK here we go again. To remove the bearings from the housing you have a couple of choices. First you can use the press again buy taking a piece of thick strap that will fit through the bearing bore cut to a length that matches the OD of the bearing. Push it up through the bore and let it fall down on top of the bearing. If you don't have a press you can use a hammer for this. Slide a steel shaft down through the housing so one end is setting on the strap. Support the housing from underneath in a manner that will let the bearing come out and hit the shaft with a hammer or apply pressure with a press. If this doesn't work for you I will be time for the torch again. Did I get it right this time:D Chris

You bet. If I was unclear with my instructions feel free to say so. English lit. was not my favorite subject. If I had a spindle apart I would post pictures. It's pretty simple but I'm simpler,sm00 Chris

You can get them out with a 1/2" drift, blunt end, punch and hammer and do no damage. They generally drive out by punching down on the inner race. That way you don't harm the large bore of the arbor/spindle. Word of caution, you need to hit the punch (with a heavy hammer) smartly, no tap-tap-tap to drive the bearing out. Most of us use this method.

Simpleton7016
The worst part is the glob of grease that inevitably falls out one the bearing is hammered free.....be sure to have a rag down on your floor underneath where you are hammering the snot out of it.

I have a brass rod that is about 1/2 or 5/8 inch diameter that I use to drive them out. Good solid support of the tower, good size hammer, good smart hard hits, and out they come. Only time I wouldn't do this is if I wanted to save the bearings, because driving them out will most always destroy them for any further use. Steve