Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

questions on SIM 700 parts....pics

perry

got some questions about some parts on a simplicity 700 tractor. what is this plate welded in the backside of the front rim ??. is it factory ?. only one front rim has it. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/MYDC0014-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/MYDC0016.jpg[/IMG] other front rim. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/MYDC0018-1.jpg[/IMG] is this tube part factory ? whats it for and where does it go ? [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/MYDC0021-1.jpg[/IMG] and did the 700's come with a rope start rope when purchased new ?. this was in the box of 700 parts. [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/MYDC0020-1.jpg[/IMG]

Well the rim looks like a repair, the tube I have no idea, really doesn't look like anything stock, and as far the rope start is concerned, the electric start was an option at that time. If you look at the early tractors all had a rope starter cup on the bgb until the late 60's...........

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
If you look at the early tractors all had a rope starter cup on the bgb until the late 60's...........
yep, they all have the pull start option 8D, but i was just wondering if the rope i have was the original that came with the tractor from the dealer . how many of you'all have ever pull started one of your FDT's sm00. i have'nt yet .

quote:
how many of you'all have ever pull started one of your FDT's sm00. i have'nt yet .
I rope started my 16hp repower B-12 a couple times. Not exactly fun, but it works.:p

That is definitely a fix on the wheel. The tube doesn't match anything that was on mine. Don't know about the pull cord. Yes, I have pull started my 700 (61 Wards) many times when the battery was a little too weak to turn it over. I carried a cord with me when we were using it for tractor pulls, just for that reason. At one time, the SG would not keep the battery charged, so I just used the cord. When they are tuned right, they take off first pull. It currently has a 14 Hp engine on it.

The push button starter switch takes the place of a solenoid. If your tractor didn't have electric start then it won't have the switch, only an on/off key.

Perry, I can't say for sure that that is an original rope start, as I have never seen an original. I would certainly think (hope) a rope was included if it was purchased without the electric start. I guess I misunderstood the original question to some degree. As far as a solenoid is concerned the early tractors were not equipped with solenoids, as mentioned the push button worked in lieu of a solenoid. All of the 700's to my knowledge had a key switch but it's only function was that of a kill switch although the model 19's had a kill button right on the points cover.

I have started our first 700 many times(Dad did not want to buy a battery) Summer it starts easy but when it is cold out it is a bear to pull.I use to wind the rope and then stand on the tire and frame . I was quite young then I think I was 8 years old. I still start the b1 that way when there is no battery in it. Bob

That handle/rope sure looks old and used enough to be an original part! I am surprised that you guys who want "original" tractors dont seem more interested in these odball "original" parts. Here is another one:

I posted about these maybe a year ago. If these yellow plastic hub caps were factory original parts, I though somebody would want them ... yet I got no response at all after posting them on the classified ads. Nor problem .. but I was just surprised that there wasa no demand for them! Tom

ya...DUH!. dummy me. there is no silenoid on them old ones. you think i would know after all the tractors i have and had come threw here.

does the choke cable run under the blower housing and up to the carb ?. and does the throttle cable run thru the shift plate and hook to a bracket on the bottom of the carb and come up to the governer rod ?. unlike the B-10's that come down threw the top bracket ?.

I think you're right about the throttle cable. There were no choke cables factory installed on the 700's. They just expected you to flip the choke manually.

this ol'timer has a choke cable. im just missing the bracket that mounts to the bottom of the air cleaner. check out the choke on pages 4-5 & 14 in the manual [url]http://www.simplicitymfg.com/document/index.cfm?doc=TP_400_1231_00_LL_S_LO.pdf[/url]

perry the starter grip is old titan chain saw with steel cable originly often used as a aux rope start . small grip good for your pocket but poor to hold on to [tuck] {}

Perry, My 61 Wards (Simp 700) originally had a choke on it also. When I got it the engine was toast so I installed a 10 Hp B/S but removed the choke cable, since I did not have the brackets to hook it up on that engine. I can't help you about the routings, since mine has not been stock since I got it. It has been nearly 25 years, so I can't remember how things were routed when I got it, especially since the engine was in a box.