Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Paint ... for b series

cojo92

anyone no what the best spray can yellow is closet match and very durable? ive search the archives and done some research and i found a few paints. what do you all think. (Its down a bit on the page...the yellow spraycan one) [url]http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/john_deere_enamel_tractor_paint_357_ctg.htm[/url] Im leaing towards this one... [url]http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-industrial-spray-paint/rust-oleum-farm-equipment-paint-510944.aspx[/url] i have a can of this but its way took BRIGHT BRIGHT yellow. [url]http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-industrial-spray-paint/rust-oleum-farm-equipment-spray-paint-108756.aspx[/url] :D:D .............. Found some old posts and fast paul says that the "New Cat Yellow" is to butterscotch look to it. and kents ammerican accents paint that was discontinuedB) looks like its a perfect match. and also is it good to clearcoat? ive heard some good and bad stories bout it. Thanks in advance, Mike

old cat yellow, is what I have been hearing to be the best match some use the JD industrial yellow also. Can also check Case industrial yellow. It's your call.

Spaycan clearcoat has always been dissapointing for me. Have you considered using a spraygun? IMO, it's cheaper in the long run and gives a better and more durable result.

If you use a spray gun Wells Implement has the original paint codes for the b-series. Pretty much any paint store could mix it. Benjamin

I use John Deere New Construction Yellow in spray cans.

Sprays great, is very durable and is the closest match that I have found.

tracktor312
ace hardware equipment yellow a gallon was under 30 bucks could do a few tractors and equipment and still alot left

quote:
Originally posted by cojo92
Ok now what's the best for the wheels and other white parts.
I used Martin Senour Cross/Fire acrylic enamel Color code 1528 Wimbledon White

I have used almond, egg shell, or any off white paints. I used dutch boy from Kmart when they sold it. love the look. as far as the cat paint I only used it on the b-1 after that, I think they got lighter and or brighter in color threw the years. simple tractors has noted this as well some where. I hate to say the word "john deere yellow" but the tractors that mike has pictures of darn there so bright and look of show room quality. he might have changed my mind on my next paint job. my bro has panted his a while back and can't say for sure but he bought it all from T.S.C. or another farm store. it looks good but I don't like the spray paint from there. I do think it was deere yellow paint. with off white for the wheels. I don't know if your going for show room correct or not, but try different paints on some metal first to see what you like and go from there. good luck and don't for get to show it off when your doing it. have fun

I just completed painting an old Kubota garden tractor with the Rust-oleum Implement paint that you referenced. I'm a big fan of Rust-oleum products but I was not happy with the pigment in this paint. It took many coats to cover. 2 cans for just the hood. As usual tho the finish came out very nice. The next time around I'm going back to their regular line of spray paints. Just for your information, Chris

quote:
Originally posted by cojo92
would they sell it at Home depot? the jd yellow or cat yellow??
If you want JD New Construction Yellow you will need to go to a JD dealership to get it.

Sometimes a good have better buys on better quality paint than the box stores. There is more than one JD construction yellow, make sure you get the one that Mike specified.

Depends on which model you are painting , three different shades of yellow were used by AC: B-1 yellow, the brightest Old yellow -- B-10, B-12, slightly darker New yellow -- B-110, B-210 etc. darker yet I used School Bus yellow which was not too bad a match for New Yellow. Rustoleum "sunset yellow" isnt too bad either

Hey Cojo,I have found a clear coat rattle can that is a two part paint!!! I have not tried it out yet,but it seems pretty promising for someone who doesn't use spray guns..Little pricey but you get what you pay for, Page 71!!! http://www.eastwoodco.com/text/content/OnlineCatalog.html

plastikosmd
I went with cat yellow..it is not original but I like the color back in it's prime....

and some wear..it has had a tough life over the past few years... now with a new heart, the paint is hanging in there tho