Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Two B210 Questions

beamer

Those of you that have the B210 I need some help. I'm restoring one that I got in pieces. My books show two possible air filter set ups for this Briggs engine. One type has a big filter with a thin (1/2" or so) green foam filter around it. This type also shows a small used cup to center the filter and it uses two wing nuts. One to tighten the filter the other to tighten the filter cover. The other type shows a small (narrow) filter wrapped by a thick green foam (about 2" or so). It requires only a cover but the bottom plate has a piece to secure the filter. Which one do you B210 owners have? Also, there is a hole in the side of the inlet pipe that the filter sets on. I also found what appears to be a crankcase vent hose that looks like it fits in that hole. Where does the other end of the hose go? Thanks for anyone who can help me put this puzzle together. Beamer

The hose you found goes in the crankcase breather. Its behind the intake elbow. If your not familiar with the engine,you should buy an engine manuel. Their not too expensive. I don't know about the air cleaner settup. Steve J.

Beamer,Our B-210 has a one piece foam filter with a cage in the center to keep it from being sucked in to the intake. I'm not sure if it's complete,but I keep it clean and it does a good job. Jim

All the 210 air cleaners I have seen are of the type with cage core & thick foam filter. A rubber breather tube runs from the valve cover/breather to the air intake throat. DON'T run without it unless you cap off the air intake hole somehow-even a good old Briggs can't eat too much dust without suffering! Bill

Steve, Thanks. Beleive it or not I have several manuals and not one of them show the tube. Very Strange. Bill, Thanks. I located the hole under the elbow. I cant beleive I missed it. I guess after painting this thing last year (all black) I just didnt see it. Got it now. Kent, Thanks for the infor also. I had a feeling it was the first without the second wingnut (unlike my manual shows). I just have to order the cup and filter now. I didntknow the B210 came with a chrome filter cover. My owners manual shows a photograph and it has a black one. Maybe different year B210's? Thanks again for answer my questions. Its always the little things that throw me. Beamer

My B-210 has the first type that you described, complete with chrome cover. But, I don't use two wingnuts, only one. With the dish on the "cup" turned dowm, when you tighten the cover, it automatically centers the air filter element by pressing down on the dished cup... My engine is a 1978 replacement engine, complete with electonic ignition (no points) but the air filter looks original -- it has the appropriate Briggs decal on it. BTW, I just ordered a Briggs OEM replacement filter and foam prefilter. I received a pleated paper filter instead of the old style foam over a plastic cage... Of course the prefilter is still foam -- it looks the same as the old one.

The later Briggs (after 1974) with the longer drop tube elbow uses the paper filters with the double wing nuts (one to hold the filer in place with a top plate and one to hold the metal cover in place. Mike S.