Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How many time's should I mow my lawn?

Simplicity85

I've heard/read never to cut more than 1/3 of the blade off...when it's growing fast, may have to mow 2-3 times a week in spring, less often in summer when growth slows...

The stripes will come automaticly with the rollers on the deck. If you mow the same direction each time they become almost permanent. Mine are still there in the spring after 6 months under the snow.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity85
How many time's should I mow my lawn a week?
as much as you can....LOL, more seat time the better.

Agreed. When I was in the biz, we would rotate the mowing pattern 45 degrees each session. It took some creative thought sometimes but it made for cool plaid patterns in the spring and fall.

I never had to worry about "how often." I mow 3-1/4 acres with a 42" deck. Usually it takes a couple of afternoons to get through the whole yard. If there isn't any rain forcasted in the next week I usually don't cut. I usually have drought conditions for some part of the summer, You don't want to cut more than you need too, more wear and tear on the equipment, more of your parents $$$ for gas, and more compaction of the soil, which is actually bad for the lawn. I also areate the lawn a couple times yearly. I usually cut to a height of no less than 2 or 3." This also helps me reduce burn-out in dry periods and it helps you get a deeper, darker stripe. As for how to stripe, try altering your patterns and see what you like. Here is a pic of the lawn from a couple years ago.

OrangeMetalGuy
Actually I'd say cut off as little as possible each cut... that way you have an excuse to cut 4 or 5 times each week! :D

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity85
How many time's should I mow my lawn a week? And how can I get the stripe's? And best cut? Jace
First, always use a Simple trACtor. Second, keep those cutting blades balanced and sharpened. Third, practice, practice practice. Fourth, if still having unsatisfactory results, consult a book about stripes on lawns, 'Google it'. I'm sure you'll find it. Fifth, enjoy! Tacey

Simplicity85
Chris nice lawn. Mike you to. MPH I was using a off brand rider that's why I don't get the stripes. Tracy I broke rule #1 oops.LOL

I know that Simplicity had a pamphlet out on the proper way to stripe your lawn, patterns and such a while ago. I used it as a reference for a speech I did in high school. Everyone thought I was nuts when I told them my topic even my teacher. For such a small pamphlet it really was quite informative. Benjamin

Tacey, Took your advice and Googled "stripes on lawns' Wow all the tips and info is there, check it out.It even has sketches to follow to get various stripe patterns. It explains that the sun reflecting off of the laid down grass gives the striped affect.Also says not to cut the grass short and many other tips.

Thats why our mowers won't go down below a certain height. The newer box store junkers go down to astro turf height and people think they should use that setting.

mendon-chalmers
RAISE YOUR DECK UP ALL THE WAY (with the rollers)& FERTILIZE HEAVY AT THE 3 OR 4 WEEK OF MAY. The greener & longer you keep it the more they show. I know no more than a 1/3 off bit when I was farming would get to mow every other week & would be cutting 6"+ off (using gator blades) & I fertilized at the end of may only with the step 2 products 3 times heavier than you should & looked just like the neighbors that hired chem lawn.

quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie_A
Tacey, Took your advice and Googled "stripes on lawns' Wow all the tips and info is there, check it out.It even has sketches to follow to get various stripe patterns. It explains that the sun reflecting off of the laid down grass gives the striped affect.Also says not to cut the grass short and many other tips.
I've been practicing...
[img]/club2/attach/Tacey/Small Deck Pic.jpg[/img]
:D Tacey