Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sharpening blades....

uponone

I have used a grinder, but I like to use a good quality file instead. I can get a much more precise/sharper edge on a blade with a file than with a grinder. A file also keeps me from taking too much metal off of blade. Benjamin

I use a small die grinder. that way I don't have to remove the blades. But I agree, a file is a more precise way to do it.

I used to take them off to grind them, but I've gotten either lazier or smarter( I prefer the latter) and purchased an angle grinder a couple of years ago. I still take them off at the beginning of the season, however, and grind them on the bench grinder just to true them up. Along with a balancer.

I grind them and and also balance them. I used to take a file to them and then noticed that the real sharp edge was taken off in less then a city lot. You'll notice that a factory blade is not razor sharp right out of the box and if the blade people are happy, I am too.

thanks for your help guys...hopefully get this thing going...i like old stuff....building a 1940 hotrod and like the excuse of buying an older tractor cause i have to mow:)

dirtmister16
what i do. take em off. grind one side say 3 times do other side 3 times. balance wise should be close. do till sharp then check on balancer. should be close, adjust as needed. works for me.

I always take them off to sharpen on the bench grinder. I have a coarse and fine stone set and usualy the fine is enough. Be certain to not push too hard, if the metal changes color(to blue for example) it will soften and lose edge quickly. Balancing is not as critical on the smaller blades as it is on the dual or single blade mowers, but remember our decks have had how many years of service to bring the fatigue life up. I always do a balance on mine, if anything it makes it quieter and smoother. On my push mowers I balance very carefully because they will exaggerate any issues. I have lost several of them to fatigue before that became a rule(yes I even welded them, didnt last). Most won't get close to that use level, but at that point I had 20-30 hrs a week of use. Sharpened every 2-3 wks or else.

I've used a 4-1/2" angle grinder and a bench grinder when the edge needs some work (hit a rock ect). I then use a flat file for the last little bit. Oh yeah, I also balance the blades with a cheesy plastic balancer.

I use an old model of the Rotory Blade Grinder similar to this one.

Much easier than the bench grinder I used to use.:D