Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity trouble

uponone

Alright guys im sure u can tell that im new....just bought two acres and am excited to start mowing....well i just bought a 4211 that i was told was in good condition and drove it around for a minute to test it out...it seemed good....i just sharpened and balanced the blades, did an oil change,...it only took a quart??no dip stick or anything...doesnt start very easy, once it does its seems to idle real strong..seems to be chuging an awful lot in gear and died after 5mins use...and power just falls on its face going up even the slightest incline......any ideas,.....like i said im new but can figure out stuff with a bit of guidance...really would like to get this mower running with confidence

What color is the exhaust? If it is bogging and not smoking sometimes it is from being lean. Try richening slightly. If it is after a continual load and dies after working well, it can be an insufficient flow supply to the carburator. Check for kinked lines. Most simply, Check your plug. A marginal plug can make starting a challenge and quit under power.

awesome...color of exhaust is pretty clear so its hard to tell...no smoke at all....i will check these things and get back to you...thanks guys

bigtenboy65
is there anything in the fuel line, does the gas cap vent properly, is your line kinked, do you have the fuel on

actually...when i did the oil change i noticed that the oil was real runny and kinda smelt like gas which didnt make sense...

It is not uncommon to have have a carb needle valve that will leak gas into crankcase. Best to install shutoff vale in between carb and tank. I assume engine spins over OK when trying to start it.

ok...well that solves one fear....valve has been done...and this was sitting for a bit before i bought it so that would explain the oil

Always change the oil before running or repairing an idle unit. The old oil has untold issues and will haunt you til you do(Of course there will be a little left because of cold oil, but it can be dealt with in a later change).

i have had 2 4211's and both were sitting when i bought them...so i checked the oil and yip gas...stuck float...so what i did was buy a shut off until i had the time to fix the problem...the first one i had also had the exact same symptoms u have...hope this helps!