Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42 inch snowthrower modifications

RickS

I know at the start of this winter both Marty (MPH) and Gary changed the pulley size on their 42 inch snow thrower. Marty went to a 4.5 inch and I believe Gary went to a 5 inch. Now that most of the winter has past I was wondering how the modifications worked. If the modifications worked without out too much trouble I am looking to do the same thing to my snow thrower. Given the layout of my house and driveway I need to throw the snow 2 or 3 times to clear the driveway. I am hoping with a faster spinning auger, I won't have to throw the snow as far. I live in Maine and the snow can be heavy and wet so that is a concern of mine. Currenly I am using a 7118 with a 42 inch single stage snow thrower. Since I got this tractor I have felt the distance the snow is thrown is less than it should be. My other tractor 7012 also with a 42 single stage seemed to throw snow farther. Note the two snow throwers I mentioned are different (one is older than the other). The snow throwers also have different hitchers to match the different tractors. I have checked and the 7118 motor rpm's are correct. I know if I alter the auger speed, it will reduce the about of torque I have available to throw the snow which in turn will reduce the throwing distance. So if Marty and Gary could step in and let me know how the changes worked I would appreciate it. I would really appreciate I write up with pictures if that is not asking to much. thanks Rick......

Good topic, I was wondering the same thing. But I think we know the answer, you used the old one and already know if it has enough power right? Just figured that out now. Guess I am changing mine out when I pull the snowblower. Now wonder if 4.5 or 5 would be better?

Michael, I don't know the pulley diameters on my tractors or snow throwers. The two tractors and one snowthrower is easy enough to check, however one snow thrower is under about 4 feet of snow, so I will need to wait until the snow melts. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the 7012 drives the snow thrower off the front of the motor, while the 7018 uses the mid pto. Maynard, you have worked around these tractors, are you aware of differences between the front and mid pto's? Without double checking, I would guess the two snow throwers have the same diameter pulley. But will need to wait till the snow melts to confirm it. Rick.......

You would have to check the drive pulleys. If they are teh same you have your answer, just need to dig a little. If different you could figure out the drive on the 7012 and get close with the 7118. I thought they were both mid ptos. I know my older does throw better then the newer on the same mid pto machine. Not much help but I know I did not have a lot of issues with bogging.

Michael, The 7012 has both a mid pto (for the mower) and a front pto for the snow thrower. The 7118 only has a mid pto and as I understand it all attachments are driven off the mid pto. When I get a chance I will measure the diameter of two pulleys (mid and front pto) to see if there is a differences. One motor is a twin, would that makes a difference in the rpm's it spins at compared to a single cylinder? Rick.......

Rick, you beat me to a post on changing mine back, suppose because i haven't done it yet. B). The high speed augar worked a little better in the light 2 inch snow falls but when I get into old snow or windrow it with the blade first my 16hp pulls down even in 1st gear. Seem to recall reading here that the pully size on the blower is different on the newer ones but don't remember for sure as I don't have the need to know. I now believe the trouble with the 42 inch blower in shallow snow is the 6 inch shute instead of the 5 like the 36 inch have. I also double blow a lot of snow in my wood lot area of the yard, but had to with the 36 inch too.

Marty, Thanks for the update. Do you know the original pulley size and the size you put on? Maybe the difference in size was too much. At the same time, if the difference is not great, I may not see much improvement in the distance the snow is thrown. Rick.......

Inorder to maintain the same belt size what I did was swapped having a 4.5 inch on the tractor and 5 inch on the blower to a 5 inch on the tractor and 4.5 on the blower. Well, actually wound up using a 4.25 on the blower because the 4.5 I ordered was the wrong shaft size. The other thing a person needs to do is make a new belt guide to the blower to fit the smaller pulley as was, if I kicked the clutch out on the blower the belt would come off, then it was shut off the tractor, lay in the snow, put the belt back on, engage clutch, start tractor and go back to blowin snow. Not fun in my eyes.C

mendon-chalmers
If you have a 5"pulley on the blower it is for front clutches if it is 7" it is for mid clutches. If you use a 5" pulley with your 7118 & your mid clutch your belt has to be 6" shorter than stock. I went to this set up this year because my hb112 broke an axle tube. Works great really tell a difference in the throwing.

The above statement is not completely correct. The 5" driven pulley blowers were for the Foot dragger tractors (FDT) Allis Chalmers B series and Simplicity 3200 series and down with the pulley on the engine crank shaft and clutch in the hitch assembly. The 7" driven pulley blowers were for the Running board Tractors (RBT) Allis Chalmers 300, 400, 700 & 900 series and Simplicity 3300, 3400, 7000, 7100, GTHL & Sovereign Series front PTO clutch on engine and mid PTO/clutch.

Maynard, I have two blowers; one used on my 7012H (front pto) and a second used on my 7118 (mid pto) as I read your note, the two blowers would have the same pulley diameter. Is that correct. I cannot check my older blower, it is buried under 4 feet of snow. Looking at my newer blower and going from memory on my older blower, it does not appear as if the pulley has been altered. I know the pto's are different, but are the pulleys the same diameter or different? It looks like this weekend, I need to spend some time comparing my two pto pulleys and maybe dig out my old blower. thanks Rick........

yes both tractors were designed for a blower with a 7" driven pulley. yes the PTO's are different 7000 front on motor/engine the 7100 mid on BGB but pulley size the same.

Maynard, Can you explain why the older blower on my 7012H performs better (going from memory) than a new blower on my 7118? thanks Rick........

I've had the 5" pulley on my rebuilt 42" blower for 2 snow seasons. It will really throw the snow;) With no wind, the snow can be moved at least 40' in any direction:D And we don't get the light, fluffy stuff here in Ohio. I used the 5" pulley guard off of the old 36" FDT blower. I've seen these old blowers go pretty cheap on e-bay. Anyway, this setup works great, IMHO;) http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Gary/42SnoBlr6.jpg

In order to avoid worrying about the belt/pulley sizes, I changed to a smaller driven sprocket on the blower and took some links out of the chain.

quote:
Originally posted by CarlH
In order to avoid worrying about the belt/pulley sizes, I changed to a smaller driven sprocket on the blower and took some links out of the chain.
Now there is an idea I didn't think aboutdOd.