Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Walking Tractor - Standard Twin

arnoldir

Hello All, New to me find from local Craig's List. I've wanted one of these for a while now. 1952 Standard Twin walk-behind. 5 HP two cylinder with magneto ignition. tires are 7.50 x 18 and it weighs 800 lbs.

That has to be about the largest walk-behind that I have ever seen. I hope you will be able to put it to work. Have fun!

You have the easy one to drive.You have rubber wheels,mine has steel wheels.I have done some plowing with mine and it is quite a job.The steering breaks are fun to use while walking.Bob

i used to have a couple of those back in the '70's, including, rubber tires, steel spike wheels, plow, discs,sickle bar, cultivators, and a sulky that had 2 wheels that could be steered with your feet and all the manuals. i only used the sulky one time...because it caused the whole thing to roll over when i drove onto a slight sideways incline. luckily i was thrown clear when it rolled or it would at least have had a broken a bone or two. also it was a bear to control and dangerous to use just as a walk behind because it was so heavy and unwieldy. once, with the iron wheels on, it got away from me and drove into the side of a log barn. the barn stopped it from forward motion but it kept running and digging with those spiked wheels till it dug itself into the ground a couple of feet making it safe enough for me to go and shut it down. it was a good laugh.

Most people who use a walk behind have no idea how to use one, they try to force it to do something. Usually, all one needs to do is to guide the tractor with the handles. I have a home built that my father built in around 1955. I have heard it called a 'man-killer', but I have been using it since I could hold both handles, and it has never beat me, and I doubt it will. Even in our red clay soils, which are tough to break, I can usually guide it, even with a plow, and I plow around 8-10 inches deep. The one in your pic looks to be a lot lighter than mine. I am going to have to take a pic or a dozen and post em