Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need some painting advice please

Time1992

I dont know what Im doing wrong, the cheap rattle can paint flows easy and sticks to the edges, dosent sag or run but the better stuff wont stick to a sharp edge, runs really easy on a vertical surface etc. HEP HEP where am I goin wrong I am using mijac paint from Agra supply and rustolium primer. Any thoughts Thanks, Tim I am only using rattle cans at this point.

when using rattle cans you can set the can down into a bucket or pan of hot water.Just let it set there for about 5 to 10 minutes then DRY it off so you dont drip on anything and shake some more and go for it.Tack coat very important on any paint work,sometimes the warmer paint can hang better too.

I use a 500 watt quartz light to heat my parts and warm the paint, also. As the guys above stated, a light tack coat is needed. Let dry a little between coats.

Thanks guys, I think from your thoughts that I am trying to paint when its too cold. The edge tack process makes a ton of sense, would this be the same way you do rounded edges like on fenders etc.?

The instructions on most cans say that use below 60 deg is not reccomended. We all know that is idealistic:p, but in such un-ideal conditions you should spray in dusting coats and be slow to recoat. A general rule of thumb for recoating is to spray your parts and spray a peice of paper or cardboard nearby(or masking depending on the part). This is your test part. When you touch the test-part, the paint should be tacky but not deposit onto your finger. If it does, it is not dry enough to recoat yet. I had a terrible time at work(body shop) until someone showed me that.

Spray a light coat and watch it , when it flashes (starts to kind of dull up) give it another light coat. Build it up slow. Most of the time people who have trouble are going to heavy on there build up. If your paint is warm and the metal is warm you shouldn't have any problem.