Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another paint ? for the 4041

Time1992

The paint I got for the tractor is Majic,tractor and Implement paint. The can says for spraying to use 16 oz reducer to 1 gal. paint. It also says I can add 8 oz hardner to 1 gal. paint. and they can be used together. I am only going to mix up a 8 or 16 oz. batch at a time. Question is would this formula thin the paint too much ? If I use the hardner ( which I will ) should I decrease the amount of reducer by 1/2 ( which the hardner would replace ) I had to order the paint and dont want to waste it or screw up the paint job. This is my first time with an HVLP gun and " Real Paint " As if you couldnt tell !!lol. Thanks, Tim

If you use ½ gallon then you reduce the other additives by half. If you only use 1 quart of paint you use ¼ of the additives. the formula is 128oz of paint 16oz reducer 8oz of hardner. half would be 64oz paint 8oz reducer 4oz hardner a quart of paint would be 32oz paint 4oz reducer 2oz hardner etc. etc.

Thanks UCD, I got that part figured out, the lable indicates that " For spraying add 16oz reducer to 1 Gal.paint" it does not mention the hardner until later on in the lable as if to say " OH YEA BY THE WAY " if you want to add hardner they will work together and use 8 oz. per gal.paint. Now I dont know nuthin bout paint but I do know that if the CORRECT thickness for painting is 16 to 1 and you add another 8 oz. of hardner " which is thin like reducer " then the paint will be thinner. So should I reduce the reducer to compensate for the hardner is my ? Does anybody just have a finger test like you know stick your finger into the can then take it out and count and time the drops adding reducer until its right ? LOL Tim

When you add hardener you do not reduce the amount of thinner. They preform 2 different functions. The reducer facilitates the spraying of the paint and how it drys. The hardener makes the paint harder when dry. You should use a thinner rated for the air temperature at which you are spraying. The thinner to paint ratio is a guide line. Some people add more thinner some add a little less depending on their preference and experience spraying certain types/brands of paint. Also adding a couple drops of FISH EYE eliminator wouldn't hurt either.

If the manufacturer says you can use both together and gives the quantities, I would follow their instructions, as Maynard says. If they are not clear, I would contact them.