Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck rebuild

OrangeMetalGuy

OrangeMetalGuy
Hi, I need to replace the bearings on two of my 42" deck's spindles. I see that I can buy the bearings, flingers, washers, keys, etc etc separately... but am I better off just buying two complete arbor assemblies and bolting them in? If I go the part by part route, do I need a press to get the arbor back together with new bearings?

OrangeMetalGuy
Is there a procedure document somewhere? I have the parts manual but it doesn't say how to assemble the arbors.

Disassembling an arbor is closely guarded secret by the manufacturer as I have looked thru a lot of factory printed page and come up with squat. The most important part is to remove arbor pulley without bending or cracking the grooves. After you remove the nut, you might have to soak the shaft in the pulley area with penetrating oil to help things along. My best luck to remove the pulley has been to wedge it out by using a chisel and hammer between the pulley hub and arbor. Once the shaft starts to move, I hold the arbor by the pulley and use a lead hammer to drive the shaft flush with the pulley hub. I use a soft headed hammer to preserve the arbor threads. After that I use short brass punch and kind hold the whole mess and drive out the shaft some more. After the shaft key is removed you can drive out the shaft and that also gets punched out. I also advise that you use a sacrifice nut on the arbor shaft so you don't damage the threads. It seems to work the best with a hammer and punch. I tried it with a hydraulic press and bent a couple of arbors. Other members have done different ways for their success, but we have all had the same looking hands after the chore was done, UGLY.sm00sm00sm00

OrangeMetalGuy
Mine are already in pieces (fully disassembled). So do I just fit the pieces back together and that's it or do I need a press to refit them?

The bearings need seated to the bottoms of the shaft machining, other than that just get the cones on the right end and the grass deflectors on right, top and bottom.

Scott PM me with your E-mail address and I will send you the only two pages of arbor repair that I know of. I forgot that there are two pages from the "B" series repair manual. BT

I use the old bearing to set the new ones. Just start them stright set the old bearing on top and give them a good rap with a hammer.