Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

914 Haul - with Pictures - and Progress

SmilinSam

Went for quite a dry spell around here, tractor prospecting anyhow. All of a sudden theres prospects poppin up all over the place! No more resale, I'm fixin and using.. Today for example, I followed up on a ad for a AC Garden tractor. Advertised as a Hydro, on the phone I deduced it to be a 914 shuttle instead. Not running with a dead battery, it was said to have a newer deck. Owner got it from a widows estate with a bunch of other stuff and he was selling off the things he didnt want. Ad price was $300, but he said after talking tome he would take $250 if I was really interested. I was , and mader arrangement to look tonight. I was wanting a better deck and maybe a second 900 series to run around if it wasnt a basket case. Shuttles dont thrill me, but oh well.. I got there, and JACKPOT! A real sleeper! Paint is bad, needs paint without a doubt, and it has a shredded JD seat on it. Puque! what a color clash... Immediately the nearly brand spanking new Simplicity 42" deck was spyed. OOOOOoooEEE!!! Almost simultaneously was spyed the distinct gray coloring of a newer K321 Short block assembly under the hood...Huff huff ..Hearts racing! Upon further inspection, I found a nice tight bevel gear box assembly, which looks also like a replacement in recent years. No signs of wear. A newer PTO assembly also noticed. New brake bands on brake and shuttle planetary. New Shuttle belts and control linkage parts.Steerings fairly tight. In fact needs some lubing. The Hour meter on tractor shows over 2800 hours,but sure looks like alot of stuff has been replaced already. The guy said the previous owner had lots of money and was in the habit of just having the dealer fix whatever went wrong with the tractor, right up to and including the deck. I brought the deck home and cant wait to get the tractor home and get it running and painted. My boy has it in the back of his bigger truck right now and wont be home till later. Tomorrow I'm going to a big auctionto see what I can drag home. Pictures coming Sunday...

Looks like Sam's tractor cancer has come back out of remission! With a vengeance too!:D Welcome back! Woohoo!

Sounds like a deal! Nothing like that feeling when you know you have a deal and you don't want to blow it. Look forward to pics.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Congratulations. ^ Thought you didn't like shuttles????? :D
Yeah Roy, go figure... Never cared before for either Green DuetZ Allis paint, nor shuttles..Yet here I am in the end witha DA917 for my main machine and and a 914S to be its backup:p:p:o) will load up some pictures later tonight

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/testing004.jpg?t=1237082901[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/testing005.jpg?t=1237082945[/img]

heres a few more..
[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/testing006.jpg?t=1237084901[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/testing008.jpg?t=1237085064[/img]

[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/testing007.jpg?t=1237085143[/img]
In these pictures I already added a new steering wheel and lift lever button and grip. Also added a couple of already painted rear wheels. If it runs well I will ad some paint and Ag tread tires. Tomorrow I'll have to get some fuel filters, shut offs and a battery and get it running. Heres a picture of my latest project. I am using the tractor for test fitting during the engineering stage..
[img]http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/Smilinsam/testing009.jpg?t=1237085377[/img]

What deal! Motor alone worth a lot more that that. Pickings slim in my local area you guys up north get all the deals LOLsm01

Nice looking score Sam. Pretty heavy duty looking little bucket. Half a doz cans of paint could make you like your Duetz.;)

its funny to see the evolution of these tractors. looks like the seat pan and rear end from my nieces landlord and the hood from my 6212.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Nice find, was that one on Craigslist?
No, this one came from a local online sale board one of the news papers runs. QConlineauction.com. I have bought several items off that over the years. They even had a 920 diesel on there a few weeks ago, but I have had my fill of those Lombardini engines. I'm not wealthy enough of knowledgeable enough to deal with those. I have watched the area Craigslist listings for months and havnt seen much of anything on that save for MTD, sears, Deere, and Cub stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Nice looking score Sam. Pretty heavy duty looking little bucket. Half a doz cans of paint could make you like your Duetz.;)
Actually Marty, I had some of that Green mixed up and sprayed it with a fresh coat of that green and put a new pair of DA hood decals on it. This one is an earlier Da where the whole frame is also green, so I felt it easier to keep it green than having to blast the whole frame and re-color. Having green show through the orange when one scrathces it would be worse than having the green to begin with.

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Thats one attachment I have yet to come accross, the front bucket. Wish I found one reasonable!!!
This one is a Swisher from the local TSC farm store. They clearanced last years models out a few weeks ago. These fit on ATV's. I am making the tractor mount part from a old snowblower hitch. I used the lift bar and bracing from the snowblade hitch I cut up to make my grader blade for the lift on the bucket. Loks like it will work, but I think I am going to have to do some more cutting. The bucket frame is too long, puts it too far out in front of the tractor. There is a brace behind the bucket that you hook your atv winch to to lift it and I am going to have to cut that off and then shorten the arms about 3-4 more inches and remount the trip lever back that far. This will bring the bucket back closer to the tractor front creating a little more stability and ease of lifting with the tractor lift when loaded.

Well guys, I got it running today. Starts and runs great, but I'll have to put some rings in it. Previous user let the air cleaner go too long. Smokes a bit when you add a load. However, the traqctor itself seems to work Great. Shuttle runs and shifts nice and smooth, which is a first for me. All of them I had before were so well worn nothing worked quite right. So, looks like I will eventually ring it and paint it.

I have a bucket just like that - picked it up cheap off an ATV owner who wrecked his electric winch lift using the bucket. I haven't tried to build a hitch yet. I just couldn't pass up the bucket - someday I will adapt it to my 18hp Sovereign. Tim