Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

10 HP B&S Breather Tube

4xbill

This is the first 10 hp I have worked on and I have not seen this type of breather before. Where is the tube supposed to go to? It was just sitting behind the tin.

The one that on my model 23D just goes under the air shroud that wraps the head. Looks to be a factory built spot for it to fit into at the lower end of the tin work. If you need I'll try to get you a pic.

That is a 23D style (9hp) style breather. The end should have a cap/filter on it and it just sits behind the plate. The 243431(10hp) is supposed to have a port on the valve cover and a hole in the barrel of the carb for a hose to bridge as a closed circuit breather.

I have a early 101 landlord with a 10hp 243431 and it just goes in side the heat shield that wraps around the jug just like the 23D.This is the type with the center bolt valve cover.They just vented into the heat shield. nick

This is a 243341-0123 and it is out of a 101. Just seems odd that it would just sit there behind the tin. Is the breather a serviceable part or does it have to be replaced?

I cleaned it out when I rebuilt the engine two years ago.It screws rite out of the block.I have never had any problems with this style vent tube.All your old Briggs had vent tubes similar to whats on our 10 hp engines.My Dad brought the tractor brand new and he never had any problems with it neither.In the middle 60's us government made all engines sold in the US convert to PCV valves.In stead of going into the atmosphere like our engines do they made the tube to vent into the carburetor. I guess our engines were made just before the change.We have early model 101 landlords.

The servicable element inside is similar to a scotch brite disk. The cover pries off and the element comes out. Shoot it with carb cleaner or brake cleaner, dry and reinstall. I did mine with that back in the summer and it hasn't been a problem since.