Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis-Chalmers New Lawn Tractor All-Wheel Steer

JimH

Here's a picture from the brochure of the newly announced AC 130 All-Wheel steer version. Now we have another choice on these new machines.
[img]/club2/attach/JimH/Allis-Chalmers 130 lawn Tractor All-Wheel Steering1.jpg[/img]

Neighbor had a white that does that. A real POS, it wiggles when it drives and wears out the steering parts fast. Also do not pull anything as the weight makes it dig in when turning and hard to steer out of the turn. He since sold it...

It probably has plastic bushings in the rear steering components like the front appears to have, we all know how well those hold up.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I think Noma was the one that started the modern version of these Mowers. After several years they were bought out by one of the cookie cutter manufacturers. During that time they produced a line called EagleStar. I own one of these which I purchased new about 1996. My yard is over 2 acres. Except for a damaged head lite lens is still in very nice condition. Since purchasing my 6512.5 last year the EagleStar has only been used for pre-mow trimming. The 4 wheel steer turns very short but tends to skid the front tires if trimming at high speeds. It is not the easiest machine to turn and feels like you are turning on jello as the rear end comes around. It's stable and mostly trouble free. But I'm not sure I would purchase another. And as a side note, I have never wore out a plastic wheel bushing yet. I purchased spares but have never needed them. And this mower has seen some rough ground on its life. I'll try and post a picture here tomorrow. I would like to look at the new Allis and see if it is based on this design. Chris

I am very sorry to see this. This model was also recently introduced in the Snapper line to be sold in Sears Stores. While I have not personally seen it, going by pictures this tractor IS NOT a Simplicty REGENT. This is a MURRAY. Based much on the Scotts line sold in Home Depot some years back. Here is a link to the Snapper version at Sears, I can't believe the MSRP was over $3000. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128838000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Riding+Mowers+%26+Tractors&sName=Lawn+Tractors It seems briggs may ultimately damage the Snapper reputation as well.

I used to maintain the grass cutting machines at my church. I lost that job (can you hear me crying?), thankfully to someone who likes it as much as I did. We had a Kubota with all wheel steer for a short while, as the machine stayed in my shop almost as much as it did in the yard. Most of the problem was the engine/drive train, but I had my share of steering trouble. That one could be driven as 2-wheel or 4-wheel steer. I believe it to be Kubota's initial answer to ZTR. Give me 2 wheel or ZTR for personal use.

MY question is why in the world would anyone buy one of these when a nice Sunstar or 900/7100 series can be bought for less that has hydraulic and power steering?

quote:
Originally posted by acfarmer
MY question is why in the world would anyone buy one of these when a nice Sunstar or 900/7100 series can be bought for less that has hydraulic and power steering?
I don't think they are trying to sell these to people like us. The average homeowner may not have ever heard of a sunstar, nor do they need one. Most people don't plan to use gardening attachments either. They are not mechanically inclined and want something new, with a warranty, that they can purchase with a credit card or arrange financing. That is why my Dad (though he is very mechanically inclined) bought his Craftsman GT before I ever learned about Simplicitys. He had never lived in the country before and was not familar with the older used machinery. Being short on funds because of purchasing a home and moving, he needed to get something convienent with financing, and he needed it in a hurry.

Thanks Chris for your voice of reason. I agree with you. Just be thrilled that Allis-Chalmers is back! We should hope that they are wildly successful. Because if it is, I'm sure there will eventually be models like the Sunstar or other models that will appeal to all of us on this forum.

620Doc, Chris727, that's what I have been trying to say all along it's going to take time. and we can park our new AC tractor in the shed with all the attachments needed. we need to tell all the town people to take a look and to buy one of these lawn tractors. so we can get our large frames back sooner. I bought my 97 simplicity lawn tractor just to mow with it dose a good job and I can leave my others with use full implements on. just remember it just a lawn tractor.

I never thought that I would live to see another day where you could once again buy a brand new Allis-Chalmers lawn tractor. I hope it leads to the larger garden tractors with the A-C name on it!

Well since this is a site devoted to older AC/Simplicity models I'm going to make the case for them.For me it comes down to value when I buy something I want the value of it to last or increase.I have a total of 5 of the Sunstar type tractors all with decks,4 runners and a parts machine.I added it up and I don't have as much in them as the Cheapest new AC mower costs.Does anyone think that one of the new AC mowers used normally for the next 5 years would be worth anything close to my 5 Sunstars used normally for the same time?Most likely the Sunstars will go up in value while the AC mower will be worth a small fraction of what it costs new.Plus I'm getting to use a top quality,easy to operate machine the whole time that I can be proud to own.So my opinion is if anyone has $2000 to spend on a mower buy an older AC or Simplicity (or a bunch better yet) and enjoy the extraordinary quality while using it and watch its value grow.Better than $$$ in the bank and a lot more fun!

acfarmer, These new models were designed for mass public appeal. It's gotta sell in the suburbs. Briggs is betting that the name recognition of Allis-Chalmers will sell more units then say, Simplicity. If this catches on with the public, I'll bet you may see an Allis-Chalmers Sunstar equivalent in the future. Briggs probably is not targeting those of us on this forum to sustain this product line. But Briggs probably does recognize that the Allis-Chalmers brand still has relevance and value.

My oppion on buying one is they look better in person,second, you get a new tractor with a warranty for under $2000.00,third, people who have 900 series think they have gold wanting more money then you can buy the new allis chalmers 130 for. I like the old 900 series better but dont have the money people are asking for them.You can get a new unit for $1800.00 with warranty.Sure it isnt made like the 900 series but the average homeowner dont care about that because they will get new when the old wears out.

well we now have 2 AC lawn tractors. hope to see #3 soon, so you all can compare a lawn tractor to a large frame garden tractor. if you haven't noticed that there getting bigger, it's only a matter of time. I would not be surprised to see the heads of simplicity looking in from time to time on here just to see what we are saying about there throw a way lawn mowers. I like my little '97 lawn mower, the gf 13 year old can drive it and I know it will stop when she leaves the seat, and it's foot controlled. and now it needs a Briggs repower. no it not what I expect from simplicity but it's a start. let me ask this: if you want a AC large frame, paint a new simplicity add decals and you now have a AC. ever thought of doing as such? then you have quality and the AC name.

• 2 weeks later...
they closed down my local and moved it inventory down the road about 15min a way in the wrong way for my travels so now I only stop in once in a blue moon. in order to sell these they need to have them out so people driving by can see. and a price needs to be on the tractors. these tractors will sell them self I know. they have name reconnection. yes my friend's dad is looking in to buying one. he has had only AC on his family farm from the start. now he lives in town and the boys run the farm. still AC powered. at the auction they showed up with a 130 with bagger. I bought all the phish and reader for $10.00 the restored b-12 with sickle bought $900.00 they did not give much time to get this auction advertised.

I plan on buying one of these just to leave in crate. An Investment! Can't be any worst than stocks! Just wish we would have saved a B-12 or better yet an HB112 when we sold them. sm01 Just think what one them would bring today if it was Brand New! Wife says I'm hunts! :D And we don't need another mower sitting around. MRSteel What problems did you have with Kubota. We sold lots of G-18&1900's (Japanese built ones,Not newer ones made in GA) with 4 wheel steering and only had Transmission drive shaft u-joints fail on ones with high hours and commercial usage. First ones had updates on rear axle's. But we never had one break. I loved mowing with it. But I agree ZTR's are way to go! Late 90's and up Kubota's Yard and Garden Tractors today are throw aways! Old ones were built to last like our old AC's!

Has anyone heard that they might be (someday soon ) coming out with a larger A-C ???? if they do that means attachments(dOddOd)