Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb and Governor linkage problem....Please help :

BradW

Hi, I recently traded for a 3415 Hydro with a 16 horse Briggs&Stratton single cylinder motor (I know it is supposed to be 15 horsepower, but a motor from a 7016 was installed). Anyway, to the problem, The throttle cable is attached but when I push it ahead (the throttle lever is like the one on your "basic" 700 and 900 series A-C's) the governor rod moves up and down, and the external part on te governor itself moves, yet, the throttle butterfly valve inside the carb does not move when the throttle lever is moved, it just stays in the "Wide Open Position" (full throttle), I am wondering if the springs need to be adjusted or something? If you could please help me out I would apreciate it! Thank you,-BradW ;>)

I have noticed this too, some throttles move the carb and some do not. Usually when the motor starts it sucks the carb part down to an idle. However in a long ago post S.L.I. said that the B & S like to fire at the idle position and when I take my finger and hold the carb part down it usually does start!! This may be because the motor is worn out and doesn't have good suckuction!!!

Hi Brad, I sure won't try to adjust the linkages for the governor unless you have a manual to go by. The linkage for the governor can cause hard starting and the problem that you are discribing but without the manual you can really be taking a long shot like one big geussing game. Maybe someone has a manual with a page showing the linkage they can send you. Mean while I would make sure that the linkage is free and not binding anywhere. I know this isn't much or any help but I have messed up the governor springs more then once. Best, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. I will try to send you a page later showing the settings for the springs how's that. Brad I have been trying to send a page to you showing the springs but your address is coming back invalid for some reason. Please e-mail me and I will then send it back to you.