Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Splitting wood with a B-1

AC_B-1Novice

AC_B-1Novice
Has anyone ever figured out a way to use the B-1 pto to split wood? If you have I sure would like to know how you did it. larry P.S. I finally got my wiring (s/g, voltage regulator and positive ground) system back to normal on my B-1. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. I found an old fellow about 25 miles away that had a VR that works for $32.oo It is a VR13914.

Can't say that I've actually ever seen one......but....
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Mack/Bark%20Buster.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Mack/Bark%20Buster%202.jpg[/img]

Larry, You could scrounge around auctions, craigslist or ?? for a wood splitter with a bad engine and couple or belt the hydraulic pump to one of the pto's of your B-1. This would take a little yankee ingenuity, but could be done. Jim

Been watching out for a splitter for years with a bad engine to do just that Jim. Where did the hydro pump mount for the splitters that were made for these ole tractors?

AC_B-1Novice
Here is what I could find on that one. Not so good I'd say but interesting. http://www.recall-warnings.com/cpsc-content-91-91060.html

A novel idea but clearly not appreciated. That report reminds me of my old favorite, the Weed Wizard. A nice little device consisting of a spool and chains to go on a weedwhacker. Worked well for sapplings and such but the chains had a definite service life limit before they would let loose. Hence the recalls.

Marty, I never saw a Simp. with a pump mounted. It would not be too difficult to do. It would not need to be clutched as the wood splitter valves bypass oil when in the center position. You could couple it directly to the motor, use the mule drive or the tiller pulley at the bgb. Tractor Supply did sell ( probably still do ) a splitter which mounted to the 3 pt. hitch of a big farm tractor and used the tractor hydraulics for power. One of those would work with a separate pump and tank if you had a solid frame to mount it to. More than a few backwoods Pennsylvania welders scrounged a piece of I-beam, a hefty cylinder, pump, valve, tank and built their own version. These were powered with everything from electric motors to 4 cyl. car motors. I'm just letting my mind wander here, so don't go out and buy a bunch of parts without talking to a good hydraulic tinkerer.sm01sm01

I have never found that splitter that needed a motor, actually once and I told him my name and I will take it. Well a guy named mike drove away with it 10 minutes before I got there. You are better off to just buy a new one as the used once pull almost full price where I am...

quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
Here is what I could find on that one. Not so good I'd say but interesting. http://www.recall-warnings.com/cpsc-content-91-91060.html
I have seen one of these work and all you had to do was touch the log to the tip and it would suck it right in... it was real obvious to me if you happened to bump into it, it would grab you or your clothing and wouldn't stop till you were gutted. So they learned of the danger from a customer complaint. That is truly an incredible statement. Where was risk management when they thought that one up?

Well, just did a search for log splitters, found nothing, looked through years of attachments on the home site, saw nothing, did I just dream seeing a log splitter attachment mounted on the back of a B series tractor? memory has it my thought was it was mounted kinda low thus be a sore back producer.

It seems as if the number one reason these nice old tractors go down is because the engines wear out. On a splitter the least costly part seems to be the engine. I thought of useing a tractor also but desided that I did not want to run the tractor engine hours and hours for splitting wood. I wound up buying a nice Canadain made splitter with a little honda engine.

AC_B-1Novice
From the sounds of it and all this info I think I'll look for another way other than my B-1 Thanks to all. larry

One of the nicest splitters I have seen was for the Case garden tractors. It splits in both directions and runs off the rear PTO. It is still offered by Ingersoll and might be adaptable to Simplicity http://www.ingersolltractors.com/attachments.htm

Robert_Rainwater
I just had a wood splitter made. I installed a 16 hp Briggs engine, bought the cylinder, pump and control valve from Northern Tool & Equipment. Put on an 8" I beam, works fine. Every thing else was scavenged. The most expensive part was the hydraulic hoses. To run a wood splitter off a B series tractor, just mount the pump on the front engine shaft. Robert

That funky splitter is still made today, I think they call it a super split or something like that. They used to sell it to attach to a car axle, a skid loader attachment, a towable log splitter and probably some other stuff they dreamed up. I agree, looks scarey! I talked to 2 guys that use them, one on a skidder and one a towable log splitter, both said it beats any other hands down...I checked, they both had thier hands still:D

Hey Guys, I picked up the Northern Equipment 3-pt mount splitter and used this as the starting point for an electric powered splitter. I removed the 3-pt pins and ran a 3/4" axle through it with some flanged bushings from lowes. A pair of 26" spoked garden cart wheels on that and a large caster welded to the end by the wedge made it easy to move around. My power source is a 230 volt 2hp 1750 RPM 5 gallon capacity Haldex power pack found on ebay for $275 and refitted with a 13GPM 2 stage pump. I'm still loking for a 3HP 3600 RPM motor, just to cut the cycle time, but it has plenty of power to split red oak up to 24" dia. Good luck with your project.

AC_B-1Novice
arnoldir: That is interesting, I hope you can get some pics and keep us informed on how it works and looks.

If you ran a "screw cone" type splitter off a tractors rear wheel wouldn't that wear on the diff pretty quick? I don't think they were designed to spin for hours on end just every now and then when you turn a corner Just a thought

quote:
Originally posted by daninghram
It seems as if the number one reason these nice old tractors go down is because the engines wear out.
you must be thinking of a kohler ?.

Great idea if you had no other power source , I have never had the pleasure of trying on of the cork screw type splitters before but i do have a hyd. home made splitter that works very well and pretty fast but, I did have the chance to split about 8 cord of wood that came from my driveway installation with a super splitter ,extremely fast ! split a cord an hour with two guys easy.( remember Marty the 912 before it was the diesel climin the wood pile ) http://www.supersplit.com/ http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=65565