Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
KenW

Leaking axel seal

beamer
Hello Ken, Yes it sure does sound like time to replace the axle seal. They are not that bad like Tom stated. But just make sure you deburr the axle checking for any before installing the new seal. Just take some emerycloth and clean up any and all the dirt-paint or anything that might ruin the new seal while slideing it on also rub some oil on the axle tube to help it slide on. Good Luck, >>->happyjack<-<<

KenW
Thanks, good info....so I will replace the seal. OK, I will remove the wheel, hub, and clean any rust/paint off the axle then remove the lock ring. How does the seal come out...do I pry it out? Thanks...Ken Williams

KenW
I noticed the oil seal on my left axel is leaking. In fact it will drain the oil out of the box in about 24 hrs. It is on a Simplicity 725 and is the axel without the differential on it. I really didn't notice the leak until I jacked up the rear to put ag tires on. Then I loosened the collar and tried to tap on it to reseat the seal but I think it just made it worse. Next steps?? Thanks...Ken Williams

BEB
I just know I timed out again-Jack-happyjack@mediaone.net Ken lets back up here just abit "ok". First lets discuss why the seal is probably leaking. More then likely either the bushing that slide's inside the axle tube bearing is bad or the axle tube bearing is bad. But probably both are in need of replacing but you will not know that untill you actually get it apart. Mind you this is coming from my "memorey" ha and sometimes most everyone in our club knows how I can leave stuff out or get it turned around because of it "but" I will continue anyway and hope that I get most of this right "ok". I have used a small flat blade screw driver or chisel and carefully drive it into the seal cutting it and then taking it out in peices. I have been luckey at times to where I can drive the small chisle into the seal and then just twist it around untill I can get a needle nose pair of vise-grips to clamp on the seal and pull it out. Its a trial and error way of doing it but I don't have a seal puller anymore to do it the easy way. If you can find a seal puller the one that works good is pointed and looks kinda like a pigs tail with the twist on it. With this you can just put a hole in the bushing and push the point of the puller into it and just twist and turn the puller around while pulling on it untill the seal lets loose. The next step is to either get the bushing or the bearing to come out using a small drift or something with a point on it to try and pull them out of the housing and slide them off the tube.Sometimes if there is enough play in the bearings you can lift up and down on the tube while trying to pull the bearing or bushing out. While you have the tire and wheel off try lifting up and down on the axle tube and see if there is any play that would cause the seal to fail. Sometimes the seals can just dry out with age and become hard and cause a leak but the way that you described how it started leaking is cause for concern that there is play in the bushing or bearing or both. When you raised the tractor is probably let the axle tube put downward presure on the seal which it normally would not have on it and if the seal is indeed hard it could have flat spotted that area of the seal if indeed there is play in the bearing or bushing. I hope that I havn't confused you and also if anyone else cares to correct or alter my way of doing it please feel free "ok". Good Luck, >>->happyjack<-<<

TomF
I would guess a seal replacement is in the works. It's not too awful of a task. It's easist if the seal you need to replace is on the non-differential side of the rear transmission. Is the differential on the right side? We replaced a few seals last summer...had enough of a rolling SuperFund clean-up site! We noticed more leaks after tire replacement as well. There were a few experts here that helped us in the process, particularly when we got to doing the differential side.