Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member w/ 917 ac

huskerdually

Thought I'd say hi and ask a couple questions. My name is Jason my Grandpa used to be an allis dealer in the 80's and my father and most of my uncles worked for him. I have a 917 hydro allis with a 18 hp kohler magnum in it. My grandpa probably sold this new so I'm trying to get her all fixed up. Found this site searching for parts. When my membership clears I'll post some pics of her all torn down. Now my questions. I'm looking for a wiring diagram for this tractor. And is there any way to identify the kohler engine with out the tin work. Someone(probably me) removed the piece that has the id plate on it.

Welcome to site Jason, Gotta ask, where is Glenvil Ne. Never heard of it. Grew up in Clarkson, many years ago. Only Kohler I have is in the bathroom so can't help you there. yea, I like CI Briggs;)

---5 miles south and another 5 east of Hastings.---- Really, wow, must have been there, name just didn't ring a bell. Mustta been the condition of my condition the 3-4 years I lived in hastings and Edgar.:O

Welcome fellow Nebraska member. Did you happen to post a craigslist ad location Grand Island looking for attachments? Hope you enjoy it here there is always plenty of advice to go around. Benjamin

Ya I know a lot of guys in Edgar, my kids go to Sandy Creek. I posted that ad, I really need to find a good deck before mowing season. Which I believe started this week, so I'm already behind.

Do you need the whole deck, or just a shell? I know where there is a 700 series with a deck, I think that they would be the same it is about 85 miles away though. Should be pretty cheap as there is no motor and the tractor is a shuttle. Benjamin

A shell to start would be good. Some parts on mine are decent. I've looking at one all over the country thinking about driving 10-13 hours if that's what it takes.

Have you checked with the guy in Centeral City. couple years when I down visiting he had I believe it was a 712 in the 'back room'. they sold quite a few I think.

Hilders? That's where I get my parts from. There good to deal with. Unfortunately they don't have anything used for it.

I don't know if this will work... but I found out that I need to head up to the Waukesha and Milwaukee, WI area tomorrow and will most likely be there until about Tuesday. I could throw a deck or such stuff in the back of the jeep if you could find something in the area and bring it back for you. They are definitely more common up there than down here. I also think there was classified add with a gentleman in Brookfield with a lot of stuff for sale. I will also call the gentleman with the 700 series and see if the tractor is still for sale and what he'd want for it. If this would work for you, my cell is 402-750-4472. Benjamin

Actually I think I've been talking to that member about getting a deck from him. I might have to see what can be worked out.

As the poster you can delete by using the last little box to the right on the top of the post, the one with the trash can on it. The next one to the left you can edit your post to make changes or add info

I don't think that the 18hp Magnum is original to a 917 which would make the ignition system different. The 917 should have had a KT 17hp with points, The Magnums all use electronic ignition which requires a different ignition switch and a switched ground to shut the engine off. The engine does not need and must not have 12 volt supply to run. You will burn up the ignition module if you try to put 12 volts to it. Dan

Ya the motor was changed out. Thanks for the heads up. I mostly needed the tractor wiring part, I seem to have a lot of little gremlins pop up. I think a lot has to do with all the safety switches being bypassed and the connections get bad. I also have a problem with the fact I have a hard time getting parts for my motor cause I can't find any I.D #'s on it, so I'm thinking of replacing it. I would love to run an efi motor in it, but I'd have to go to a 26 or 28 hp. But maybe you guys think that's a bad idea.