Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery Running Down.............

LesH

I have a 2 cylinder side shaft Briggs engine that was transplanted on a garden tractor. Problem is that the battery always loses charge after a few days. Battery is a new 12 volt Sears Diehard style. Water in the cells are fine. The engine does not need the outside automotive style coil to run. There are no electric actuators. There are lights that are wired correctly. The engine starts easily and the starter does not drag. I don't use the lights when I have used the tractor. Any help appreciated...

did it do this with the old battery? Could it be in ignition "on" position with a carb valve engaged? try this: a)disconnect the battery. b)leave it for a few days. c)reconnect the battery. does it start? if it starts, this proves it isn't the battery but something that is draining it down. Something is "on". If not, your battery is the problem.

I'll try and help out a little. Don't know the specifics on a tractor but in general to find a battery drain. Unhook positive battery cable. In series hook up a multi meter with amp reading capabilities. If you have a draw it will show on the meter. Probably not a big draw. Unhook items one at a time till the draw goes away. That is your faulty component. That's how I do it anyway. And some multi meters are a pain.

That's a good way to check battery drain. If you don't have a multimeter, you can use a 12V test lamp, in series with the battery cable the same way. If it lights, there is a draw.

While less precise, a voltmeter can check for the drain too. Observe voltage when free and when connected. It should remain the same for both if propper, if different it will indicate said drain.

The only problem with that is the drain is probably so small it would take quite some time to pull the voltage on the battery down.