Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

drive belt slips off on my 4211

joemick

hello: at times, while mowing, the 4211 halts and will not move in any gear. The belt slips off the rear pulley under the seat and when putting the belt back on it becomes difficult and while putting extra pressure on the belt to slip over the pulley edge, the pulley assembly moves slightly forward and the belt pops on. Seems I have to tighten somewhere but am not sure where, any suggestions? thanks, Joe

Check the belt for wear. The belt sounds to be worn down, which will produce a 'loose' condition. Also check for pulley burrs, which can create random problems. The idler may be an issue also. It should track straight and have relatively little slop.

I have the same prob. I can never get the thing to work right. Compared to the B models its a piece of junk. I have two that were given to me free and now I see why. Of all the tractors they made I think the 4211 is the worse. Just my opin.

Just adding my 2 cents, Ive had a 4211 for over 20 years and it has the original drive belt on it, No kidding! It dont look to good but as long as it works I`m not gonna mess with it. Make sure the Idler pulley is free and the belt stops are in place as mentioned. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you really cant compare a 4211 to a B tractor , Its like apples to oranges. Ive never had a B but my little 4211 has mowen great since 1986 and I just rebuilt the deck and added new brake pads and it will last another 20 years.

[IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/JeffinIA/Mowers%20and%20stuff/0081040x684.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/JeffinIA/Mowers%20and%20stuff/0071040x684.jpg[/IMG] Just a couple of pics of my old 4211 Its just a little lawn mower but has treated me well and earned my respect. This is also in original condition ,Paint, seat and rear tires. I did repower it about 10 years ago and have put on new Front tires. Its not my main mower anymore but does get used weekly during mowing season to get in the tight places where my big tractor cant go.